Return to the Pets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to tecah not to hump?

Posted by sethramesh (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 18, 10 at 15:38

I understand it is nature. But is there a way I make him forget this habit? My 2 year old mud 'chief' is recently neutered.But this does not solve the probelm. thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to tecah not to hump?

We love the 'penny can' for all sorts of bad habits.

o

How long ago did he get neutered? I think it takes some time for the hormones to calm down in their systems.

o

Am very interested to see if there's a solution since my dog has been doing it for the past 3 years. He was neutered when less than a year old. He's a small dog (24 lbs), very independent and doesn't care to mingle with other dogs, but he will hump his Boxer friend when they're playing and especially when they're tired. I've tried lots of verbal correction and noises but nothing has helped. I now just correct him when I see him start to show interest.

o

Humping isn't just sexual. Female dogs do it also to feel superior (such as humping a stuffed animal when she is at the bottom of the rank.) Many years ago, we had an older dog who never did this until we started having kids, then any stuffed animal was game.

Again - the penny can.

o

My two female spayed dogs do this and they are 7 and 6 years old.They have done this since they have been together about 5 years.For them its a dominance issue.They each have their area they do this in.When we see it we tell them no/stop and they stop at that time only to do it on another day.I was very embarassed in the beginning until I learned the reason for this behavior and now to me its just part of having a pet..

o

He was neutered just 3 days ago

o

OK, give him a little time before using the penny can --- months, I think.

o

When you catch your dog doing something you dont want, just tell it in a firm voice to leave it! Do it enough ad your dog will learn what is acceptable behavior and what is not... Good luck

o

Thank you all

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here