test requested T4...results 1.9....referance range 0.8-4.0

Inhouse Urinalysis
spgr...1.019
bili...+2
Pro...+1
Leukocytes...+3
Blood...neg
ph...6

I feed homemade raw but the vet said that was not good for this condition..so he is eating gd diet and likes it..I add water to it.
Bitta has a heart murmur ..ultrasound last year for a dental showed enlargement muscleon left side...111/V1 systolic murmur..papillary muscle enlargement moderator bands. No meds given at that time.

My vet is insisting I give a minimum of 250 suq fluids daily..which from what I am reading is too much for a murmur cat...He gave him a 10 supply of liquid clavamox and will refill it again when it's gone.

The plan is fluids ..gd food...and weigh him...I have a baby scale.

They don't have a bp for pets there..do I need to go somewhere and have it taken..
The vet said..in a week to take the cbc again..if the results go down a lot..then it is the heart causing the problem...

I thought I would give him about 75mls..or even 100 twice a day...does that sound like too much??
I know to watch for the signs of overload...which is scary to even think might happen.

Today the drip went in double time..so fast..it only took seconds and it was all in..I can see if I adjust the on /off lever I can slow it down...did it going in too fast cause any problems..I hope not..

He is not his normal self..he is hiding most of the day..unless he comes out to eat..but then I have been taking in to the vets every day since Wed...he use to be really vocal..not now..do you think he is just stressed out and thinks I am going to shove him into the carrier when I approach him??

That's a lot of info...thanks for being there.
Bev

Comments (3)

• annzgw
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I've included a link to a previous thread and I think you'll find Laurie's link to 'Tanya's Guide' to be of help. In the left column you'll find info on Heart Problems........listed under Related Diseases.

Like you I'd be concerned about the subq fluids. Is your cat not eating or drinking on his own? Was he dehydrated when you took him in? With all he's gone thru the past few days, I'm not surprised he's hiding.

Personally, I'd seek out a vet that specializes in heart problems.

Here is a link that might be useful: RF

• laurief_gw
    9 years ago

I am very sorry about Bitta's diagnosis, both renal and cardiac. Did your vet explain to you that hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (HCM) is associated with several cat breeds, including Persians? I strongly urge you to have Bitta evaluated by a veterinary cardiologist to determine the type and extent of cardiac issue she is experiencing and to develop a treatment/management plan for her heart. You should be able to find a cardiologist within reasonable driving distance by Goggling "veterinary cardiologist [the name of your state]". Your current vet is apparently disregarding her heart problems, and, IMO, is putting her at SUBSTANTIAL risk by prescribing such a high volume of fluids to a cat with known cardiac abnormalities.

I almost killed one of my kidney cats a number of years ago by following the vet's prescribed high dose of subQ fluids. Bitsy was pretty severely dehydrated at the time of his initial kidney diagnosis, so the vet told me to give him 300 ml once daily for 5 days to rehydrate him. After the third day's fluid admin, he went into respiratory distress (open-mouth breathing), and I had to rush him to another vet to save him. He was drowning internally ... and he was a much larger cat than Britta with no known cardiac problem.

If Britta were my cat, I would give her absolutely NO MORE than 100 ml of fluids daily, and I would even split that into two, 50 ml admins a day instead of giving it all in one admin. This would put a lot less strain on her heart to process the fluids. I can't understand why your vet prescribed such a high volume of fluids, anyway, since there is little to no indication of dehydration in her bloodwork.

You are certainly not bound or obligated in any way to comply with your vet's prescribed course of treatment if you are uncomfortable with it. You may not be able to undo the potentially fatal effects of overhydration. I got lucky with Bitsy. You may not be so fortunate with Bitta. Bitta is safer if you err on the side of caution.

I assume the vet prescribed Clavamox on the chance that Bitta may have a kidney infection, since there is no indication of systemic infection in her CBC. Was she running a fever in the vet's office?

I urge you to read the thread that annz linked for you above. It will provide you with a lot of important information that there's no need to repeat here.

Please keep us updated on Bitta's condition.

Laurie

• User
    9 years ago

I'm with the others. I had an old kitty with renal disease who also had a heart murmur. I gave her no more than 100 ml of fluid daily, per her vet's advice- due to the heart condition. It's too much fluid for them to process with that condition.

I wish you the best of luck, and I hope you will keep us posted.