Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vieja_gw

?euthanasia ...

vieja_gw
11 years ago

My sister had an 18 year old Main Coon cat that developed cancer. He was the joy of my sister's life (she is on low income & an invalid)& over the years 'Shadow'became like another 'person' to her... he was SO intelligent & would 'talk' to her!

After many calls, she had a vet that would come to the house to euthanize the cat for $240 !! My sister's son found a Vet Clinic where they could take the cat & they were allowed to be with 'Shadow' all the time so lowered the stress for both 'Shadow' & my sister & nephew! The Vet inserted a catheter while my nephew held him, injected something & in 'seconds' my nephew said "Shadow' was gone! The vet said it was an over-dose of Propanol ... same that killed Michael Jackson! Still, it cost a whopping $140. 'Shadow' was taken home & buried in the backyard he love to sun in! What a peaceful way to go when all hope is gone for recovery in 'Shadow' at such an advanced age!

Comments (8)

• sylviatexas1
    11 years ago

I'm so sorry.

It's obscene how much vets charge for euthanasia;
    they know they've got a "captive audience" & you'll pay what they demand.

The last elderly cat I had to have put to sleep was about a year ago, & it was $45 & I took her home.

Had they put her in a box & sent her to the landfill, it would have been $75.

This was in a small town;
    at the "low cost" clinic in southwest Dallas, euthanasia used to be $10;
    when the contract for running it was turned over to the SPCA of Texas, the fee went to $75, & the attitudes of the personnel became very snooty.

I called about an elderly client who was on a fixed income (read that "no dang money") whose ancient dog was in the last stages of cancer & who had begun to have pain.

When I objected to the price, the person to whom I was talking said, "That's no more than any private vet would charge."

• Jeane Gallo
    11 years ago

Last Saturday we had our kitty, Ling, put to sleep. Our vet gave her a sedative shot first to relax her. About 5 minutes later she came back in and gave her the final shot. She was gone almost instantly. We got to be with her and pet her the whole time. There was no charge. Today we got a sympathy card from the vet clinic. We do take all our cats to this vet for their yearly check-ups, and any other time they need treatment. I think if you aren't a regular client they charge, but I don't know how much.

• calliope
    11 years ago

My vet charges $75 to take in and take home. When you walk in their door, there is an immediate twenty dollar charge for an office call included, even if it's just for shots. I'm OK with that, because overall their other services are very modest compared to many, and they will come in at any hour in an emergency (although there is a charge, it's still much more humane and economical than sending them off to an emergency clinic two hours away).

My mother's vet, to whom I used to take another one of my dogs euthanised one of mine she saw on a regular basis for no charge. I thought that was very humane of her because it's little to do after seeing a dog for their lifetime and her charges were high-end for all her other services.

Sylvia, that rankles me that a 'low cost' clinic taken over by something like the SPCA would go for profit on this service. Nobody takes their animals in on a lark, and nearly always it's an act of mercy to do it.

• pamghatten
    11 years ago

My experience is like Jeane Gallo's ... thankfully. When I need to euthanize a pet, no appointment needed and no charge.

I've been taking my many pets to this vet practise for 16 years now ... and wouldn't ever switch.

• cyalexa
    11 years ago

When you cannot provide your pet with a good life the most loving thing you can do is provide a good death.

While there are greedy people in all professions, I think the vast majority of veterinarians really care about their clients and patients, especially when a long-term relationship is involved.

Please bear in mind that there is significant overhead cost involved in stocking and using euthanasia drugs. In my state, in addition to a license to practice veterinary medicine, one must have both state and national drug licenses. These licenses are very fairly expensive. Further, there are very involved record keeping requirements and specific requirements for proper (ie. secure from tampering) storage. When performed in a compassionate manner, a euthanasia uses a significant amount of staff time (above and beyond that needed for record-keeping, etc), and may occupy an exam room for quite some time. I am not trying to defend a price gouger, merely pointing out some of the costs of doing business that most veterinary clients don't consider.

• calliope
    11 years ago

'When you cannot provide your pet with a good life the most loving thing you can do is provide a good death.'

Exactly, and why all pet owners will not begrudge their animals this expense and exactly why the fees set for this service, above all others should be compassionate and fair.

I consider my vets fees appropriate. It's the cost of an office call and the drug infusion. No sedative is given before the fact, and if you want to spend time with your animal alone to say goodbye before it's done, you do it at home or back in the kennel section and not in the treatment room. It's in.......and over. Pay first please. They'll let you exit through a back door, for your comfort and the sensibilities of other clients. (that's why you prepay) I usually ask my vet to check my animal first if I have any questions at all about proceding before it's actually needed. Depending on how involved this is, it may incur additional expense. I do believe that animal shelters who do offer this service (and it's needed to prevent suffering of innocent animals) their costs should not reflect the 'going rate' of private vets, but as little as they can possibly charge.

• vieja_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I still wonder why some Vets will let you be with the pet from the time you bring it in to the time you take the body home to bury? It is so less stressful for someone the pet knows & loves to be with it & for the owner to see the whole procedure was less stressful for both of them ... & yet so many vets will not allow it! What are the reasons some Vets don't allow it ... what is there to hide?

• cindyandmocha
    11 years ago

As a former euthanasia tech, I can tell you that the drug itself is very expensive. So vet or shelter, the cost is the same. None of them get a discount on that.

As far as whether a vet or tech lets someone be present there may be several reasons...

For me it was "all about the dog". We did not pre-sedate at the shelter I worked at. The drug used for that is a different drug - and frankly *that* drug is what would cause nausea and discomfort for the animal. Our ethic was that the last thing a sick or dying animal needed was to be nauseated and vomiting. It could also slow down the effect of the euthanasia drug.

Our policy was for the animal to be absolutely as comfortable as possible with the least stress. That being said, there are some owners who can create a loving calm last moment for a beloved pet. And that is a wonderful thing. There are other instances where it could be a stressful wailing last moment for that poor animal.

Trust me I can truly understand the loss of a beloved pet - I just lost Mocha and Rusty both last year and I truly dread when Ginger goes. I know grief and how hard it is. Rusty went in his sleep but Mocha did not. It was a hard decision. However, I wanted Mocha's last moment to be peaceful and calm and loving as possible. I was able to do that, and I feared my husband could not - but he was a champion. It was me who nearly broke down.

However, all that said - and this may sound harsh to some - but if I thought someone (when I worked at the shelter) was going to be a hysterical mess (and lets face it, during that time, some of us are already), there was no way I was going to put an animal through that - or myself or another tech frankly. People sometimes forget that while skilled, a tech is also a human. That procedure is very hard on the tech doing it as well. No matter how many times they've done it or how skilled - it is NEVER EASY emotionally. You need peace and calm and it to be the most peaceful process you ever do EVERY time or its not a job you should be doing. It requires focus and concentration and absolute care for that animals last moments of life. In those moments - it is all about the animal.

The grieving is really hard on us as pet owners, but we have time for that after the animal is truly gone. But up until that very last moment, the deserve our love and kindness and support, and a gentle transition to their after-life. Then let he flood-works begin - I know I did.

That is just my opinion of course, but I bet most euthanasia techs feel that way and vets as well. I certainly hope they do.