Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lilly316

Need help quickly

Lily316
14 years ago

I want to bathe my dog today and bought at Target last night Hartz ultra guard flea and tick shampoo w/ oatmeal. However I don't like the cautions on the back that I just read. Don't use on cats and puppies,(which I wasn't going to) wash hands after using etc, etc. I have a poor opinion of hartz already. Should I not use it? I have just regular shampoo to use but I wanted to do it today while it's so hot outside. Anyone else ever try this?

Comments (9)

• Lily316
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Forget it. I gave him a bath with his vet- bought aloe shampoo and am taking the Hartz back to Target. Should read labels at the store. Hartz almost killed a kitten I had many years ago. She was tiny and began to stagger so I rinsed her quickly with water and she was okay.

• sylviatexas1
    14 years ago

sorry, I just got here!

You did the right thing;
    I *never* buy Hartz or "feed store" brands any more after I had a similar experience.

• trinigemini
    14 years ago

I would never ever use a Hartz product on a dog again. I used one of the flea and tick drops on my dog. Within hours we had to take her to the vet to get detoxified. (I didn't go with her because I was in school, so don't know exactly what was done) Hubby was with her thank god. He said he had to bathe her to get as much of the stuff off of her that he could. The vet said it was the Hartz product. Since then I will not buy any product that hartz makes. They obviously don't care about the animals.

• joepyeweed
    14 years ago

I'm glad you didn't use the stuff!

• mazer415
    14 years ago

These over the counter products can cause alot more problems than they are ever meant to solve. Go get yourself some good dog shampoo like Buddy wash and Buddy rinse and flea control like Frontline or Advantage...good for you for not using that toxic stuff on your pet!!!!

• handymac
    14 years ago

I like Mane and Tail shampoo/etc. products. They are formulated for use on horses primarily, but can be used on dogs or even people.

• kleah
    14 years ago

ok, i have probably posted too many postings tonight for one person! i am an animal/people psychic and as well i used to be a vet assistant and i owned my own show dog and cat grooming salon a long time ago. this is a really good question. all the answers were good. i would never use hartz anything! get something your vet sells at the vet hospital. (providing it's a great vet) they all aren't. some chemicals are horrid in pet stuff. like the capstar tablets to kill fleas on pets. i'd not use those! not healthy regardless if your vet says they are ok, they aren't. advantage applications are ok though. i know that wasn't the question. just threw that in. :-)

• carmen_grower_2007
    14 years ago

Dust once a month with Diatomaceous Earth. We do the cats and the dog --- when we had chickens they were kept mite free with it.

• betsyhac
    14 years ago

I, too, have heard nothing but bad about, and have had my own bad experiences with, Hartz. I can't believe it's still on the shelves.