Return to the Pets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to befriend a scared skiddish cat in your home

Posted by phish (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 30, 11 at 14:59

As I mentioned in another post, we found a lost cat. My first goal is to get him to his rightful home/owner.

If he doesn't have a home/owner, I would consider adopting him. The problem is he is extremely skiddish, scared, shy. I have him locked in a room with food water and litter and I think he is scared to even eat much in fear that big bad me will come in and do I don't know what to him. How can I get him to feel comfortable in my home?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to befriend a scared skiddish cat in your home

Time ... and patience. Go about your normal routine, go in and out of the room and ignore him. Put some really stinky food out that he can't resist ... like tuna!

Give him some time, and then spend time in the room calmly reading ... don't force the issue. Just be in the room and ignore him.

He'll eventually get used to your presence .. and then you can slowly go from there.

o
RE: How to befriend a scared skiddish cat in your home

Try NOT to make direct eye contact. One thing I have done successfully is to keep them in my peripheral vision. If we do make direct eye contact, I will close my eyes gently. For some reason they seemed to not mind me "looking" so much this way. Once he will eat in front of you try moving the dish closer each feeding time to you while you read or just sit looking somewhere else. Turkey or chicken broth canned babyfood by Beechnut or Gerber is nearly irresistable to cats. That on a spoon coaxed my feral kittens in to me. I also recommend lots of time spent reading aloud to them unconnected to feeding. Luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here