Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
debbiep_gw

What age do black labs generally go into heat

debbiep_gw
13 years ago

Annabelle,the black lab puppy needs to be spayed.She has to be six months here to be spayed.We have no definite age for her as she was a stray.The vet said in July she was 3 1/2 to 4 months old he thought.That should put her at 6 months in Oct but that could all be off.I know my first basset I bought the breeder told me she would come into heat at 8 months and sure enough she did so I was wondering if labs have a timetable to.Any lab owners here?I'm hoping they will make a exception and let me have her spayed in Sept being I don't know how much time I have..

Comments (6)

• carmen_grower_2007
    13 years ago

Labs mature slower than smaller dogs -- our lab went into heat for the first time when she was almost a year old.

• quasifish
    13 years ago

We had our first lab mix spayed at 5 1/2 months- and the vet said she was on the verge of going into heat. He did indicate that was a little unusual.

Our second lab mix we had spayed at 5 days shy of 6 months. That vet had no comment on her maturity or lack thereof.

If 6 months is the rule, aim for the earliest time they will accept her as 6 months old and hold your breath- there isn't much else you can do! You and Annabelle will get through this one way or another.

• Meghane
    13 years ago

There's no reason to wait for 6 months. I prefer to get them younger as they recover faster. Also, if the estimate is wrong and she does have a heat cycle her chances of getting breast cancer later in life go from less than 0.1% to 12%, which is a pretty high jump in risk IMHO. I have no idea why some vets insist on waiting. There is no data to support it, and in fact a lot of data to support early spay/neuter.

• cindyandmocha
    13 years ago

I agree with Meghane. The American Veterinary Association has said for years that it is quite acceptable to spay as young as 8 weeks old. For males, neutering is as soon as the testicles have descended - approx. 8 wks old.

The recovery time for a younger pup is much much quicker. Most are up and playing the next day.

Heats also vary among every breed and WITHIN the breed itself. There is NO hard and fast rule.

Think of it like this: Remember in school when one girl would get her period way before the others her age? One girl may be 12 and another 16.

Dogs and cats are no different in that respect. One may go into heat as young as 4 or 5 months old, while another may not until they are nearly a year old. You do NOT want to take that chance.

• debbiep_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I agree with everything that has been said to me BUT I can't make them spay her before they think they should.With that being said I'm using a mobile spay/neuter clinic from Fl that rolls into town and parks at the Tactor supply.It will be here 9-9 and she already has a appointment for that morning.Thanks!