Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sweeby

Visit year-old puppy at the hospital?

sweeby
14 years ago

We're going through a rough patch with our almost one-year old female lab puppy and I need some guidance. The back story:

A few weeks ago, she started limping intermittently - then she looked and acted fine. Later, she'd avoid putting any weight on her leg -- then fine again. Anyway, after a few days of watching, wondering and researching, we took her to our regular vet, who examined her, took xrays, diagnosed a 'Medial Patellar Luxation' -- or basically a 'trick knee' and recommended surgery. She had the surgery, and was fairly well at home.

But after a few days, she staretd feeling a bit better and kept going after our other dog to play. We tried keeping the dogs separate, confining her to just one room, never lettting the two dogs outside at the same time, kept the e-collar on her, tried to keep her drugged and sleepy. (With the big e-collar and her leg stiff-bandaged, she couldn't turn around or lie comfortably in her crate, so confining her to one room seemed to be the best we could do.) But 5 days post-surgery, somehow both dogs were let into the yard at the same time, and she took off running and jumping after our other dog at full tilt -- which tore up the inner stitches, requiring another surgery to fix. This was a few days ago, and now she's staying at the vet's -- probably for two weeks.

So to my question -- I'm wondering if it would be better for her if we visit, or if we stay away until she's ready to come home? What do you think would be most distressing for her -- not seeing us at all? Or having us 'leave her' repeatedly? I don't want to assume she'd react like a human, but I have no idea how a dog would feel... Her usual temperment is confident, friendly and high-energy, and she's still all puppy.

Comments (7)