Return to the Pets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Silly ear hair plucking question...

Posted by agmss15 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 28, 12 at 13:23

Hi - I have a 3 month old small mixed breed puppy. He has floppy ears. I've had other floppy eared dogs in the past that had problems with stinky ears, mites, infections. I asked the vet about his ears and he suggested plucking out the hairs growing out from his ears. He demonstrated for me - and the puppy reacted but not very badly.

So I've been plucking out hairs a few at a time every few days - and making sure I handle his ears w/o plucking in between. Is this the best way to proceed? Or should I try to get more out at one time and not do it again for a month or so. I don't want him to associate his head being touched with pain. Or is this something I should leave to a groomer?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Silly ear hair plucking question...

Our lhasa-poodle mix had hairy ears, and our vet showed us the same as yours did, to hand-pull the hair. You're doing this the right way, a little at a time, and touching ears on other days. It's best for all involved to do a little at a time rather than a lot when it becomes a problem. It's a lot less painful to pull a few than a lot, and if your dog ever gets inflamed/infected ears, it'll be terribly painful to pull a lot of hair. Prevention is the name of the game here.

DH would pull her hair while watching tv, just a couple quick tugs then a treat or some love/attention. She was generally good about it, as she got elderly it wasn't as easy. We also used forceps/clamps occasionally, it was easy to set the clamp on some hair, give it a twist and yank. It hurt her more though, as we usually pulled more at once that way. You can also get deeper in the canal with forceps (gotta be very careful you can also pinch the tender flesh in the ear, don't ask why I know this).

It's a good habit to get in, hairy ears can have problems.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here