Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nicole___gw

Feline Diarrhea treatment I used....

nicole__
9 years ago

My full grown male cat ate something when he was outdoors, giving him explosive diarrhea. Dripping when he exited the cat box, wiping his bloomers on the bathroom cabinet, leaving a mess when he sat down. Lots of licking in the cleanup process....poor baby.

I found little help online, so that's why I'm posting here.

I called the vet and without taking my cat in she recommended Purina Fortiflora, an OTC(over the counter) product that's a probiotic......like eating yogurt.

It's a powder you sprinlke on their food and tastes yummy! He LOVES the flavor! She said seven days treatment should do it.

After the first day of "the runs", there was nothing the second day. The third day a small clump, still a little too wet and the fourth day back to normal.

I plan on keeping some on hand, ya never know.

Note: He had NO other symptoms. He was happy, energetic, playful and had a healthy appetite.

Comments (11)

• christine1950
    9 years ago

Thanks for the heads up on the meds. FYI for dogs canned pumpkin works great and it helps with constipation as well, I always keep a can in the pantry just in case. Happy to read your kitty is feeling better, hope he learned a lesson :>)
    Christine

• sylviatexas1
    9 years ago

Canned pumpkins works for cats as well.

• socks
    9 years ago

Will a cat actually eat pumpkin? Do you mix a bit with the canned food? My cat is so picky and suspicious about food, I'm just wondering how people get this kind of cat to eat pumpkin.

Now dogs, they love just about anything, don't they?

• nicole__
    Original Author
    9 years ago

socks12345.....that's what I was wondering. My cat eats salmon and crab(Meow mix, it's dark meat scraps in a cup). He won't eat most other things. I'm guessing he was hunting outside and caught something....that's the only way he'd be enticed to eat an odd morsel.

• christine1950
    9 years ago

I have never tried it with cats, but the cat I had before this super finicky one would have eaten it LOL.. with the dogs all I did was just put it in their food dish and they ate it right up, my rotties I would give them 2 tbsp and my little pip squeak only gets 1/2 tsp at a time,it works pretty fast. So you may only have to give it to them once a day.

• sylviatexas1
    9 years ago

I've mixed it with regular canned food or meat scraps, & I have had one kitty that lapped it up 'straight'.

• murraysmom Zone 6a OH
    9 years ago

Nicole, I just had a thought. Do you have any cicadas in your area?

My dog, Fred, eats cicadas - much to my dismay and disgust - and then he gets diarrhea.

If I see him with one and I holler at him, he will drop it. I've gotten two from him so far. That is how I knew he was eating them again. He stands at the base of the tree and eats the bugs there.

He is now only allowed outside on leash in an attempt to stop this disgusting behavior. Who wants to be kissed with a mouth that held a cicada?? :(

• Jasdip
    9 years ago

I've heard that pumpkin is good for cats when they're not eating. Last year I bought a different kind of Temptations treats (natural or some such thing). They ate them up, but Smudge got sick and was puking a lot. I tried to entice him with the pumpkin but he wouldn't have it. I did get him to eat, finally and he was back to normal in a couple of days.

I wrote to Temptations.....his bile was the colour of the treats and he's never had a reaction before. Of course they wrote back, saying that the treats were tested, yada yada.

Anyway, none of them wanted anything to do with the pumpkin, once it was opened, I was hoping that the other 2 would want it.

• nicole__
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Murraysmom.....no cicadas. We have katydids & grasshoppers. I really don't know what he ate. It could happen again so I'm keeping some little packets of yummy powder on hand. He loved the treat! :0)

• murraysmom Zone 6a OH
    9 years ago

Well, good to know what to do if it happens.

Jasdip, that is distressing to hear that Temptations treats made Smudge sick. I just bought a couple of packages of them because I had a sample and Rocket seems to like them. I will be watching him closely now.

• Jasdip
    9 years ago

Murraysmom, I feed my guys Temptations all of the time, they love them. This particular one was a new package, something about All-natural. It wasn't the normal packaging, anyway. If it was the Natural ones, keep an eye on him, just in case.

The treats were a bright green, and the regular Temptations are browns.

Smudge is the one who always cleans up any leavings of wet food if the other 2 leave anything, so he's a good eater.