Return to the Pets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Siamese lovers near Gaston County NC?

Posted by svs128 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 23, 11 at 10:55

There is a back yard breeder in the Gaston County NC area that is contributing to large Siamese numbers showing up at the local shelter. At least 4-6 per month during the summer!

Anyone in the area interested in helping the Siamese Cat Rescue? They need foster homes and intake evaluators.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Siamese lovers near Gaston County NC?

This problem is nationwide

o

Is the cattery large enough that it would come under USDA inspection regulations? Are there local animal welfare groups that can create bad publicity for them and help to shut them down?

I'm not close to the area, but I have been quietly browsing Petfinder and local Memphis area rescue groups for an older to senior gatto to join my group, which includes Sam, Lord Superior Siamese. I could potentially travel to pick up a rescue, as I have a friend in Tidewater Virginia, and could do a circular travel route to include NC. It's a long shot, but if the cattery discards any of it's breeders, perhaps it could happen. I'm sorry to say that as much as I enjoy kittens, I'm past the point in life where I need to take on a 20 year responsibility.

o

I don't find where commercial breeders get inspected in NC but here's a link to the NC Animal Welfare Section. The pet shops get inspected but it looks to me like that's just for selling other people's animals? There are licensing requirements so it's worth a phone call. If nothing more it may cause the offender a big headache and maybe a fine. In NY they inspect annually but they just slap them on the wrist for animal neglect and then renew the license :(.

Sorry there is such a need for the Siamese. It's worth a post; you never know who's reading! We certainly need to come up with a better solution to this overpopulation.

Here is a link that might be useful: NC Dept of Ag

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here