Return to the Pets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My baby has polycystic kidney disease

Posted by kittiemom (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 7, 10 at 10:48

We took Magic to the vet for another follow-up regarding a huge single cyst he had last year that basically filled his abdomen. No sign of that one, but the ultrasound showed polycystic kidney disease, which wasn't present on the ultrasound last year. The vet also says there are cysts on his liver. His blood tests at this time are all normal; vet says that's excellent. She says she can't give us a time line because there's no way to tell how quickly this will progress. She says he could have as much as two years, but three is unlikely. He will be ten years old next month. She put him on Hill's Prescription Diet k/d food. She says no fluids are necessary at this time as he is showing no symptoms.

I am just devastated. We have no children & Magic is my baby. (We also have two other cats). He is so special. He follows me around the house like a little dog. I'm still trying to get over the initial shock. If anyone here has been through this & has any advice, it would be appreciated. Please keep us in your thoughts.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My baby has polycystic kidney disease

I'm so sorry for Magic's diagnosis. The link below will provide you with some information about PKD.

I'm not sure why your vet put him on k/d since he isn't showing any signs of renal failure yet, but you may want to research that decision. A protein-restricted diet like k/d may do more harm than good in cats who are not in late-stage renal failure, because the reduced protein intake may cause various physical problems. You can read more about protein requirements and CRF at this link:

http://www.felinecrf.org/nutritional_requirements.htm#protein

Here is a link that might be useful: PKD in cats

o
RE: My baby has polycystic kidney disease

As usual, I agree with Laurie about the food.

I hope Magic is happy and healthy for many more years.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here