Return to the Pets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Nose to Nose.....What Gives?

Posted by katie49 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 31, 12 at 9:52

I have a 1 1/2 year old Standard Poodle and just got a 6 year old German Shepard mix. They are both neutered males. My young Std is sniffing the shepard's mouth almost ALL the time. What gives? I can't think or imagine what this is all about in the doggy world. The shepard usually doesn't mind but gets pretty fed up sometimes. They've been together a week now and it is still going on. Will it stop or at least slow down?

Thanks for any enlightening.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Nose to Nose.....What Gives?

the only thing that comes to mind is maybe the shepard has a dental problem. something like an infected tooth that is giving off an odor? does he eat ok? i can't think of anything else that would make another dog so interested in his front end. usually, it's the back end that gets all the sniffing!

o

Yes, what Ninapearl said. There have actually been cases of dogs who had habitually sniffed at their owners and the humans found out after the fact that the area the dog wouldn't leave alone was cancerous. So dogs most definitely can pick up aromas not considered normal. Dental problems would pop immediately to mind.

o

Is it just sniffing or is there any licking going on? It sounds like it could also be over arousal on the part of the spoo. Sometimes they get downright silly and odd when they're so excited, they can't figure out what to do with themselves.

o

I also would suspect dental problems. But if that checks out fine, I would just say that animals are quirky. I have a cattle dog mix girl who bites the whiskers off of the other dogs. And they let her!

o

My older female Ginger (13-14 yr old english shepherd) and relatively new 2 yr old male Boo (dobie/setter mix) do this ALLLLLLL the time. She also use to do this with Rusty and Mocha. I read something years ago that its akin to "butt sniffing" and "pee sniffing" - its really dog language for "where have you been and what have you been eating". Remember that dog communicate very much through smell.

In essence... (pun intended) it's "nosiness".

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here