Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ninapearl_gw

my little piece of the ocean, picture heavy

Ninapearl
9 years ago

i recently combined my 2 small saltwater tanks into a 75 gallon reef tank. i am almost fully stocked, thought i would show off some of my fishies.

kole tang, biggest fish in the tank.

royal gramma

yellow fin flasher wrasse

red velvet fairy wrasse

orange spotted goby

my favorites, pair of longnose hawkfish

and of course, the obligatory pair of "nemos". :D

one of my urchins. he gets all dressed up in shells with nowhere to go!

i watch my tank more than i watch tv! thanks for looking! :)

Comments (11)

• oregpsnow
    9 years ago

Nina - what a beautiful habitat for your fishy kids. I would watch that over TV any day - at least you know the Kardashians won't go swimming by.

How are the furry and hairy members of your family doing?

• annzgw
    9 years ago

Nice tank! Sounds like you have experience but just want to suggest you offer some type of food/seaweed/greenery for the snail(s). Most of mine literally starved to death before I realized I didn't have enough algae for everyone. :(

• spedigrees z4VT
    9 years ago

That is an impressive aquarium, Ninapearl! Very beautiful habitat for your fishes. The longnosed hawkfish are definitely my favorite too! Cool looking fish!

• christine1950
    9 years ago

So beautiful, I too would rather watch your fishes than the crap they how on tv today. Hows Arnold?

• Ninkasi
    9 years ago

Very beautiful what a lovely piece of ocean you have there!

• Ninapearl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thanks, everybody!

oregpsnow, we are in the throes of a terrible heatwave so the danes pretty much only go out to do their business and then come right back in and plop in front of the floor fans. the oinkers spend most of their time traveling from a shady tree to the mud wallow and back to the shade. i'll be SO glad when it cools off!

annz, there is quite a bit of algae on the rocks for the snails and urchins and i also offer nori rubber banded to a rock every couple of days so they have plenty to eat. :)

christine, arnold is goin' a hundred! out of my 4, he is the only one who will meet me at the gate for breakfast and dinner. the others prefer i deliver their meals to the shade tree. yesterday, arnold had a HUGE horsefly pestering him. kept trying to get him to stand still so i could swat it. took me about 10 tries but i finally got it. i think arnold smiled at me! hehe

• TropicalModern
    9 years ago

Beautiful Fish! Hope it cools off soon...want the pups and piggies to get out and about to have some fun. Love seeing them and hearing about thier antics!

TropicalModern

• socks
    9 years ago

Hope you didn't have to whack Arnold in the process of smacking the fly!

Beautiful aquariums. Ninapearl, the animals must keep you hopping busy all day, every day.

• Ninapearl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thanks again! i don't really consider taking care of my animals as "work" although they do take up a considerable amount of what little spare time i have. they (even the fish) give me so much joy, i guess you could call it all a labor of love. :)

i can't imagine coming home from work and not being greeted by the dogs like i have been gone for 6 months. pea usually gives me the once over sniff test to make sure i haven't been cheating on her (not too many dogs come into a law office, lol) but all bentley wants to do is lean hard enough to almost knock me over.

of course, the pigs love nothing better than a bowl full of pellets with a little cap'n crunch on top so they're always happy to see me, too! :)

• murraysmom Zone 6a OH
    9 years ago

Nina, I love hearing about all your critters. It really makes my day. Your big tank is amazing! I can understand how you could just watch those fish for hours. Really beautiful and such a nice variety of fish you have.

As for the pesky horseflies, of course you know we have them at the farm bothering the horses and we were just saying that somehow when we smack the horses to kill the flies they seem to know we are helping and not being mean to them. Animals are pretty smart, after all.

I'm glad to hear everyone there is doing well in this heat and I am looking forward to cooler weather as well.

• Ninapearl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

hi murraysmom! thanks for the lovely compliments. :)

this is the first time i have seen a horse fly around here in years! arnold seemed to understand that i was trying to help. i was able to sort of swipe it off of him and when it hit the ground, i stomped on it. hopefully, i won't see any more! i remember how horrible they were on the horses. just one buzzing around would get tuffy in a snit. ugh!

we've had just over 5" of rain in the last 2 days. thank God i live on sand or i'd be mired down in mud! looks like cooler temps coming our way. yayyy!! hope you will be getting the same!