Return to the Pets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
know of breed rescue?

Posted by cheryl_p (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 31, 09 at 6:38

Can anyone steer me to a GSD rescue group that I can contact? I've gotten myself into a "fix". The neighbor of a friend of a friend (I know!) has a one-year-old shepard chained in the backyard....one of those neglect stories. I am willing to even purchase the dog in order to get it out of there but I DON'T have the set up (cats, no space, etc) for an unruly albeit beautiful, smart LARGE dog. One of the general rescues here is full and keeps saying I should foster it. Well, I can't. Other people have criticized me for even getting involved but how could I not?! The Humane Soc. has visited the dog twice now or so I'm told. Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: know of breed rescue?

cheryl, where do you live? there are any number of breed-specific rescues that might take this dog, if they are within a reasonable distance.

o

Go to Google. Type in "German Shepherd Dog Rescue" and the name of the closest large city.

o

The dog is in Flint, Michigan. Thanks.

o

1. Good for you for getting involved and even being willing to put out funds for this dog.
2. Go drop the dog off at the ASPCA - they are a no kill shelter and will should take the dog.
3. Good luck

o

Contact the SPCA. I had occasion to call a few years back regarding a "German Shepard Puppy Mill" where all the dogs were neglected. The SPCA Officer that responded was a retired Police Officer! The people involved can never own an animal again. By contacting the SPCA you are more apt to ensure a proper investigation/follow-up thereby protecting any future animals these people may get. You can remain anonymous if you wish.

I applaud you for getting involved. We are their voice when they do need help.

o

The link below lists three rescue groups for German Shepherd dogs in Michigan, though only the first two links work for me:

Here is a link that might be useful: German Shepherd dog rescue groups

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here