Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cheryl_p_gw

know of breed rescue?

cheryl_p
14 years ago

Can anyone steer me to a GSD rescue group that I can contact? I've gotten myself into a "fix". The neighbor of a friend of a friend (I know!) has a one-year-old shepard chained in the backyard....one of those neglect stories. I am willing to even purchase the dog in order to get it out of there but I DON'T have the set up (cats, no space, etc) for an unruly albeit beautiful, smart LARGE dog. One of the general rescues here is full and keeps saying I should foster it. Well, I can't. Other people have criticized me for even getting involved but how could I not?! The Humane Soc. has visited the dog twice now or so I'm told. Any suggestions?

Comments (6)

• Ninapearl
    14 years ago

cheryl, where do you live? there are any number of breed-specific rescues that might take this dog, if they are within a reasonable distance.

• Nancy in Mich
    14 years ago

Go to Google. Type in "German Shepherd Dog Rescue" and the name of the closest large city.

• cheryl_p
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The dog is in Flint, Michigan. Thanks.

• mazer415
    14 years ago

1. Good for you for getting involved and even being willing to put out funds for this dog.
    2. Go drop the dog off at the ASPCA - they are a no kill shelter and will should take the dog.
    3. Good luck

• waterotter
    14 years ago

Contact the SPCA. I had occasion to call a few years back regarding a "German Shepard Puppy Mill" where all the dogs were neglected. The SPCA Officer that responded was a retired Police Officer! The people involved can never own an animal again. By contacting the SPCA you are more apt to ensure a proper investigation/follow-up thereby protecting any future animals these people may get. You can remain anonymous if you wish.

I applaud you for getting involved. We are their voice when they do need help.

• petaloid
    14 years ago

The link below lists three rescue groups for German Shepherd dogs in Michigan, though only the first two links work for me:

Here is a link that might be useful: German Shepherd dog rescue groups