Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chellamaral

Cargo shipping pup from Chicago to Tampa/Orlando

chellamaral
10 years ago

I am investigating cargo travel. Need to know the best airlines to do this!

Comments (4)

• annzgw
    10 years ago

I would not ship cargo...........period!
    Check out Delta for counter-to-counter shipping and US Airways. Delta counter ships the pets with luggage and during layovers (something you don't want) and plane changes they'll keep the pet in their air cooled office vs sitting on the tarmac. The pet will be the first off the plane and the last loaded. Note in the link below that they will not accept pets between May and Sept.
    US Airways has a good history of shipping but they may ship cargo only.......not sure.
    You want to get the most direct flight possible, with no plane changes. If you, and the person receiving the pet, have to drive to a different city to get better plane connections then so be it.

There are also many ground services that will personally drive your puppy to it's destination.

Here is a link that might be useful: Delta

• spedigrees z4VT
    10 years ago

Some 14 years ago my collie puppy arrived counter-to-counter via American airlines. He arrived in good shape, and, because his breeder had had a bad experience once with Delta, she chose American, but perhaps American no longer offers this service.

My sheltie puppy arrived via Delta counter-to-counter in good shape a year and a half ago.

I don't know if this is helpful, but I wouldn't fly a puppy by cargo service either. I would not want one of my animals left out in the blistering heat on the tarmac. I think airlines should dispense with this "service."

• socks
    10 years ago

There are airlines which specialize in moving pets. One is linked below. Of course, it won't be cheap, but flying cargo is very risky. I would hate to think of my dear dog flying with luggage. If the plane has to sit on the tarmac for any length of time as they sometimes do, who knows if it would be a comfortable temperature or not. Even a few minutes too hot or too cold can be horrible.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fly Pets

• annzgw
    10 years ago

There was another company that would fly pets......and only pets......but they went under financially last year.

Read all the details when researching for other services such as the one listed above. I'm pretty sure all they do is transport your pet to and from the airport and do all the paperwork. It's not that difficult to arrange transportation, but be prepared to make several calls to check the status of the flight(s) and make sure your pet doesn't get stranded somewhere due to an airline problem.
    Again......try to arrange a direct (non-stop) flight for your pet.