Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
krycek1984

Blue Wilderness Food

krycek1984
13 years ago

Hello all!

I need some input about foods.

The dogs are happily on Purina One Sensitive Systems. I'm satisfied with that food - the first ingredient is salmon, and they only go poo once every day or two. It is a high quality food, in my experience. We have two beagles and a fox hound.

I would like to start giving them a supplement of canned food. I would love to get Blue Wilderness, but it is so expensive (2 dollars a can!). I can either give them a couple cans a week, or get something somewhat cheaper for once every other day.

For the cats - since they don't eat as much (obviously), I have two 14.5 lb cats, I could afford blue wilderness soft food for them. Maybe blue hardfood, too. Don't know.

Is there any food that is somewhere in between Purina One pet food (I consider it to be one of the best widely-available foods) and Blue Wilderness that doesn't have a ton of filler?

I'm especially concerned for my cats. Cats are obligate carnivores and have no need for all this filler crap in all their food. They are currently on Purina One Chicken and Rice (chicken first ingredient), and Friskies for Indoor Cats soft food once a day.

The dogs, obviously I am concerned for their health, but they seem to be doing well on their diet, and dogs are meant to eat things other than meat.

So, to sum it up, something in between the quality of purina one and blue wilderness for cats especially, but dogs too.

I wish I was wealthy and could feed them all blue wilderness!

Comments (6)

• stir_fryi SE Mich
    13 years ago

Can't comment on dog's needs but basically, a cat will eat, what a cat will eat and doesn't really care how much you spent on the food!

I switched my 14lb kitty to Blue (by Blue Spa Select) a few months ago (from dry Nutro). The rep at Petsmart convinced me it will cure everything that ails him. His only problem was his once weekly hair ball he'd deposit on my carpet.

Well, I do think this food is better from that standpoint. In two months, he has barfed two hairballs instead of weekly. For that I am willing to pay double because he was staining my carpet terribly.

As for canned food, he will only eat Friskees shredded varieties (one can per day). I am not willing to spend over a $1 on canned food anyway. Plus we only go through a 3lb bag of dried food every two months.

• gardningrandma
    13 years ago

When it comes to meats being the first ingredient, that is based on weight which is inclusive of water content prior to being dehydrated. So in reality, the amount of salmon would be further down the list.

Can you find something without any corn in it?

I can't comment on cat food too much but Blue Wilderness contains a lot more meat in comparison, has no corn, minimal amount of grain and has more protein.

Even if the price is higher initially for the food, you'll end up having to feed less of it for the same level of sustenance.

Even if it was twice the price, if someone told you, you'd spend an extra $200 a year on food but your pets would live longer, wouldn't it be worth the price?

• californiangardener
    13 years ago

Have you thought about trying Natural Balance? That one is high quality but more mid-range in terms of pricing. My kitty loved it, but it turned out he was allergic to it so I had to stop giving it to him, but that's a good one. He's now on Wellness, which is more expensive so not sure if you want to try that one.

This is a very informative website if it helps you:
    http://www.catinfo.org/

• slo_garden
    13 years ago

For your cats, Solid Gold Indigo Moon (available at PetCo) is the least expensive of the high protein, grain-free dry foods. It appears to be comperable to Blue Wilderness, Wellness Core, and some of the pricier brands. My cats love it.

• Lily316
    13 years ago

I feed my 5 cats and 2 dogs Purina ONE too, and they all do well on it and like it. With cats that's very important. For the wet food for the dogs, I mix a little Purina ONE canned food in with the dry and microwave it a few seconds. They each get equal amounts and they inhale it in seconds. The cats..well are cats. I divide a can of friskies in the morning as their treat. Currently we only like prime fillets, salmon and beef ,but that could change. That's only 50 cents a can and the Purina ONE for the dogs is $1.25..

• olyagrove
    13 years ago

Currently we only like prime fillets, salmon and beef ,but that could change.

Hehehe....so funny, and so true.