Return to the Pets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

 o
Death by chewing gum - canine owners take note

Posted by mazer (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 24, 10 at 21:07

There is an ingredient in chewing gum that is deadly to dogs, it is called xylitol - if you found your dog has chewed any gum with this ingredient get it to the vets immediately. Some dogs are attracted to chewing gum because it smells sweet...
We had a case locally where a pomeranian had gotten ahold of some wrapped gum and was chewing on it. The owner did not think anything of it, but got on the internet to research the ingredients and ended up rushing his dog to the emergency vets - it was on our local news....


Follow-Up Postings:

 o
RE: Death by chewing gum - canine owners take note

To the best of my knowledge, xylitol is found in sugar-free products and not only gum, but many medications and some candies. Thanks for the heads up.


 o
RE: Death by chewing gum - canine owners take note

True, xylitol is an artificial sweetener found in many products. It is deadly to dogs and cats. Probably not so good for people either, IMHO. No proof there though...


 o
RE: Death by chewing gum - canine owners take note

LOL Meghane, my thoughts exactly. When my dentist recommended artificial sweeteners to me, he got an ear-full.


 o
RE: Death by chewing gum - canine owners take note

I was thinking the same thing. The stuff is deadly to cats and dogs but its ok for us to eat it? Honestly I think sugar and fat get a bad rap. I think its better to enjoy the real thing in moderation rather than indulge often in processed/preserved substitutes. I read that sugarless pop has the same affect on your blood sugar as regular pop. The body responds the same and my family has a history of diabetes so I pay attention as I'm at risk.

Funny/gross story, an online friend loved Pringles chips so when the fat-free/low-fat version came out he ate a full can each day for four days. On the fourth day he felt gassy but realized it wasn't gas. Not to get into tasteless details but he ended up having an hour long shower/bath to get cleaned up.


 o
RE: Death by chewing gum - canine owners take note

LOL


 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!


Return to the Pets Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.


Learn more about in-text links on this page here