Return to the Pets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can a dog relapse heart worm?

Posted by sethramesh (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 24, 10 at 19:13

I am trying to adapt a sweet dog. She had Heart worm 5 months ago and she has fully recovered since then. My question is: what is the possibility of relapse since she is already infected once. The doctor says she is fully cured a month ago. Any caution in terms of treatment that i should be aware of?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can a dog relapse heart worm?

Any dog you adopt can get heartworm if they aren't kept on preventive medications (Interceptor is one). Keep her on monthly meds and have her tested once a year just like any other dog.

o

Once heartworm treatment is complete, the current infection is cured. There may be some permanent heart and/or lung damage. Any dog not on heartworm prevention can become infected with heartworms, including those who have been infected before.

o

It's been about a year ago, but somebody posted a thread about a dog who tested negative she got at a shelter, and had been on preventative and retested and was found positive. I can't remember the context of it, but it was an extenuating circumstance and does anybody remember the meat of it?

I had a dog years ago who tested positive. He was a pound dog (not even shelter) and I was ignorant of it or preventatives at the time, so he had to be treated with arsenic. It was scary and also expensive. He survived, but some don't. I would not be afraid to adopt a dog who had been treated successfully as far as recurrence.

o

Dog has to be infected with heartworms for 6 months before test becomes positive. Once a non-protected dog is bitten by an infected mosquito, it takes 6 months for the immature larval stages to mature and migrate to the heart and start producing antigens that our test detects. If a dog got infected less than 6 months ago, the test will be negative and you won't know it had been infected until the next heartworm test.

o

Thank you all; I ended up adapting a different dog from the shelter. I have to take him now for neutering

o

Thank you meghane. Best wishes on your new buddy, Sethramesh.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here