Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gatrees

Can a dog relapse heart worm?

Love Trees
13 years ago

I am trying to adapt a sweet dog. She had Heart worm 5 months ago and she has fully recovered since then. My question is: what is the possibility of relapse since she is already infected once. The doctor says she is fully cured a month ago. Any caution in terms of treatment that i should be aware of?

Thanks

Comments (6)

• cynthia_gw
    13 years ago

Any dog you adopt can get heartworm if they aren't kept on preventive medications (Interceptor is one). Keep her on monthly meds and have her tested once a year just like any other dog.

• Meghane
    13 years ago

Once heartworm treatment is complete, the current infection is cured. There may be some permanent heart and/or lung damage. Any dog not on heartworm prevention can become infected with heartworms, including those who have been infected before.

• calliope
    13 years ago

It's been about a year ago, but somebody posted a thread about a dog who tested negative she got at a shelter, and had been on preventative and retested and was found positive. I can't remember the context of it, but it was an extenuating circumstance and does anybody remember the meat of it?

I had a dog years ago who tested positive. He was a pound dog (not even shelter) and I was ignorant of it or preventatives at the time, so he had to be treated with arsenic. It was scary and also expensive. He survived, but some don't. I would not be afraid to adopt a dog who had been treated successfully as far as recurrence.

• Meghane
    13 years ago

Dog has to be infected with heartworms for 6 months before test becomes positive. Once a non-protected dog is bitten by an infected mosquito, it takes 6 months for the immature larval stages to mature and migrate to the heart and start producing antigens that our test detects. If a dog got infected less than 6 months ago, the test will be negative and you won't know it had been infected until the next heartworm test.

• Love Trees
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you all; I ended up adapting a different dog from the shelter. I have to take him now for neutering

• calliope
    13 years ago

Thank you meghane. Best wishes on your new buddy, Sethramesh.