Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
musiclvr_gw

don't make my mistake!

musiclvr
13 years ago

WOW!... If the last three days haven't aged me 20 years, I don't know what could! It all started with a bat getting inside my apartment. I actually woke up with it crawling next to me on my bed! That's bad enough! I don't think I or the cats were bitten, but I went to the hospital to get shots anyway. But the worst part came yesterday. By law, the hospital has to notify animal control. An officer showed up at my door yesterday morning and asked if my 2 cat's were up to date on their rabies shots. I said "no" because they are strictly indoor cats. That's all he needed to know. The hateful s.o.b. told me I had two choices... surrender them immediately to be put down, or have them placed in quarantine for 6 MONTHS!!! These cats are my babies, my children. I've had one for 12 years, and the other for almost 6. There is no way I was going to let them be put down. After about half a day on the phone, I finally found a place locally that would accept the cats. 20 dollars a day for both for 6 months.... over 3500 dollars that I DON'T HAVE! That was the next hurdle. I paid for them to stay a couple of days, and spent almost all day today trying to find some financing, a loan, anything to keep my babies alive. Finally, earlier this afternoon, I got financed through CareCredit.com which I found through a Humane Society website. This has truly been a stressful week so far... and I have to come home to an empty apartment for 6 months... and that KILLS ME! I balled like a baby last night. I miss them so much already. I still can't fathom the fact that they're not here.... Anyway... do you know what could've prevented all this?....... a $20.00 rabies shot. Don't make my mistake. Even if your cats are strictly indoor, keep them up to date on their shots... and you won't have to go through this "hell" that I'm going through... Sorry to ramble on. I just wanted to share my story...

Comments (44)

• annzgw
    13 years ago

Did you not have the bat's body? Did it fly back out?

I thought all they had to do was run test on the dead bat to see if there was any rabies.

• beegood_gw
    13 years ago

I think by the time they run tests on the bat and it is confirmed as having rabies it would be too late to treat anyone that had been bitten by it.

• socks
    13 years ago

That's just terrible. What shots did you get at the hospital?

• Meghane
    13 years ago

I had a client whose cat got bitten by a stray cat that came in through their screen window. The client was bitten by his cat. He hadn't gotten his cat vaccinated because it was 18 years old and never went outside. The cat went downhill fast after the attack by the stray, and the client brought the cat in to be euthanized. The vet asked if the cat had bitten anyone in the last 2 weeks, and the client said yes. By law, we had to send the brain (and only the brain) to the state lab for rabies testing. It was positive. The only reason that man is alive today is that he brought the cat in to be euthanized and answered the question honestly. He had to get post-exposure treatment as well.

I'm glad you were treated- many people bitten by bats don't know they were bitten. I hope your cats are OK. And I thank you for posting this. It must have been painful to you, but it does remind everyone that even indoor only cats can be killed (euthanized or infected with rabies). Vaccination is the law in many states, but wise any where that rabies is a problem.

• calliope
    13 years ago

If a test had been run on the bat, whether is was too late for post exposure treatment or not, it should have had a very real impact on whether the cats had to remain quarantined if the bat tested negative.

Animals are quarantined when you bring them in to Great Britain, for yes......six months. My grand doggies both had to go through that. So, it's relatively easy to find kennels set up specifically for that purpose. And the fees are a bit more gentle for those long-term stays. And, visiting is allowed.

I have a very good friend who had a bat fly in their apartment, as well. Bat born rabies is very rare here, but their bat tested positive, and it hasn't been too long since another bat rabies case was in the newspaper.

I always kept my barn cat (indoor/outdoor) vaccinated but to be honest not my house cats and we live in the country and bats have gotten in our house more than a few times. I always worried myself sick afterward for my indoor cat's safety. So, I am glad you posted this. Definitely food for thought. I'm so sorry you had to have this experience.

• sue36
    13 years ago

How terrible. However, medically cats do not need to be vaccinated every year so many people do not vaccinate them because it is believed the vaccination itself causes health problems. Have your cats ever been vaccinated? If so, perhaps you could get their titer level tested and it might show they still have immunity. Not sure if the state would accept it, but if they have been vaccinated it might be worth a try.

• Lily316
    13 years ago

That's a terrible story. My five indoor only cats are currently vaccinated but only because I had to do it to adopt a rescue dog. I have two very hard to handle large cats..22 and 19 pounds and they are impossible to get in carriers. The smaller cats are doable but they all should be vaccinated, I agree. .

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    13 years ago

This makes me shudder, and I feel your pain. I am so sorry you and your cats have to go through this.

• prairie_love
    13 years ago

I'm so sorry you are going through this but please don't blame the animal control officer. He did what he had to do to protect your family.

sue36 - titers are not acceptable because no strict testing has been done to demonstrate what levels are protective.

I know this because recently a stray dog was brought to our local Humane Society, adopted out, and then showed symptoms of rabies. After he was euthanized, he tested positive. Every single dog in the shelter had to be euthanized because there was no way to PROVE that they had not been exposed or that they had protective levels of antibodies. Tragic.

I agree with Meghane, thanks for posting, hopefully others will take heed of your lesson.

I'll be crossing my fingers for your kitties.

• quasifish
    13 years ago

I am so sorry about what happened. What terrible circumstances.

Thank you for sharing it though, it is something I never really thought about. Having had a cat who got a tumor from the rabies vaccine, I am wary of it however it is important to remember that it does play a vital role, even if it has risks.

My old kitty has health problems and the vet recommend not vaccinating her and in addition wrote a waiver for me to send to the county. I have never thought about the potential repercussions those circumstances could have for her, but will now. Though she is an indoor cat, we do have a fair share of critters in the area. I'll share this story with DH too and we will definitely take fewer chances when it comes to pest control on the property.

Again thank you for sharing. I am certain it is painful right now, and my heart goes out to you, but by sharing your experience, you may save a few of us from similar experiences.

Bless you and your kitties, and I hope a year from now this is just a bad memory. (((HUGS)))

• musiclvr
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thanks everyone for the comments and concerns. The only rabies shots the cats had were when i adopted them. That was 6 and 11 years ago. I honestly don't think any of us were affected. But, it's the law unfortunately, to have them quarantined. As far as me, I had to get 6 shots. 2 in each leg, and 1 in each arm. Then I go back tomorrow for 1. Then another 4 days from that, then a last one 7 days after that. I am just so depressed right now though... I have to go back to work tonight. (11pm-7am) I'm not going to be able to tell my babies "good nite" and "I love you boys". Nor will they be waiting on me in the morning when I get home... This is killing me!!! Only five months and 28 days to go........ :(

• Lily316
    13 years ago

I feel very bad for you. Can you visit them? This could've very well happened to me as I don't believe in rabies vaccine for cats who have never been outside because of potential health risks. . How did the bat get in? I love bats..on the outside.. because they are very beneficial but inside , not so much. I need to check all our chimneys and other places one could enter.

• petra_gw
    13 years ago

I am so sorry you and your kitties have to suffer, but thanks so much for posting your story. We have bats in our area and a rabid one was found not too far from us a couple of years ago.

All of our cats are indoors (though we have two who like to come out with us when we sit in the backyard and therefore have been vaccinated. But they come back in with us when we go back in the house) and we have a screened porch they can all access. I thought the porch was safe, but hubby and I inspected it after what you posted and there are numerous openings and gaps which bats could easily access.

3 of our cats should not/cannot be vaccinated, one due to age and two due to health problems. So before anyone goes on the porch again, we will completely secure it. Thanks again for the warning!! And I hope the 6 months will fly by for you and your cats.

• Elly_NJ
    13 years ago

This is a very sad story, and I can't imagine how you must feel.

I have a question. Who is keeping the cat for 6 months? Who is authorized to do so?

• socks
    13 years ago

This is just terrible, and such an expense. Have you appealed up the line of command? Maybe something could be arranged in the way of in-home quarantine. This just does not seem right. Maybe you could pay a vet to make weekly visits to check on the cats. Anything would be better than this!

• musiclvr
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hey everyone..... I live on a top floor apartment, and believe the bat came from the attic, got down inside a wall and got in through a hole where plumbing for the water heater enters and exits. I got some of that spray foam and filled in every hole around every pipe I could get to. The cats are at a certified vet's office. The A.C. officer said that was the only type place that could quarantine them. And yes, I can visit them. But, it's just not the same as having them here. A friend of mine had brought up the idea of in-home quarantine also last night at work. I need to look into that. I don't know if A.C. would go for that or not. You would think there would have to be a better, more humane way than having them in a cage for six damn months! Thanks for all the comments... and I truly do hope it saves others from going through this nightmare.. I'll keep ya'll posted if anything changes... Only 5 months and 26 days to go.... :(

• Meghane
    13 years ago

The safest rabies vaccine for cats is the yearly PureVax vaccine which doesn't have an adjuvent. All the other rabies vaccines have adjuvents, which can rarely cause an aggressive cancer in cats. As far as other vaccines, the vet can determine what is needed and when based on the individual cat's health and lifestyle.

You *can* get a rabies titer done instead of vaccination BUT it is very expensive and your particular jurisdiction may not accept titers instead of vaccination. Rabies is the only vaccine for which we have a definite protective antibody determination, because it is such an important zoonotic disease. Only 2 labs in the US perform rabies titers. Usually they are done prior to export to certain Rabies-free countries and Hawaii.

The UK no longer requires 6 month quarrantine on pets entering the country, as long as their rules are followed perfectly.

• cheryl_p
    13 years ago

Thanks for the shocking heads-up! I was another naive pet owner thinking that my girls were safe as long as I kept them inside. Thanks too, Meghane. Once more you have helped me to be a better pet guardian .... we're off to see our vet on Monday!

• calliope
    13 years ago

I'm glad to hear the U.K. has eased the quarantine restriction. With the advent of the Chunnel and an effective land bridge between the Isles and the continent, it was really sort of overkill. I'd heard that show dogs were able to be transported in and out with no quarantine if they met certain strict guidelines. In my daughter's case it meant housing two large dogs Rhodesian Ridgeback and Alsatian in a special quarantine kennel for six months. Very expensive for a young adult and very emotional experience.

I would like to know if your cats would still have to be held in quarantine if you had captured the bat and had it tested with a negative result. What did you do with the bat?

• mazer415
    13 years ago

Could you not have quarantined your cats at your apartment??

• olyagrove
    13 years ago

That is horrible. Sorry about the pain you are going through.

6 months is a horribly long time. Poor cats.
    I got bit by a feral I was trapping and she had to be quarantined for 10 days (happy ending, cat got spayed and returned after the 10 day hold)- but then, your case is of course different...

• musiclvr
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hey everyone.... It's been a while, just wanted to let you know the "new" stress I'm dealing with... My cats are doing great in "jail" They're aren't confined to a cage, the owner of the vet's office let's them roam around a 15'x15' room. They get attention every day from the employees. I get to go see them every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. They've actually adjusted and are happy there. Although I still miss them at home, i've grown to be OK with that. My new "stress" is that the apartment complex took over 3 months to do anything about the bats in the attic of my apartment, which is how all this hell started.. And they only did so after the local news station here aired a segment on another tenant complaining about mold that wasn't taken care of. (Imagine that?!!!!) Believe me, I've called dozens of times before that to find out what was being done about the bats, and would just get some runaround bs. You know what their solution was for the bats?...... A crapload of mothballs thrown into the attic! NOW MY ENTIRE APARTMENT SMELLS LIKE MOTHBALLS!!! It's so strong, after sitting in it for a few hours, it just smells like jet fuel. I've opened windows, turned fans on, just for it to come right back full strength within a hour. They did this last Friday. I went to complain about the smell Monday morning. I told them that they just created a new problem ontop of an existing one. The bats are still there. I hear them chattering, squeaking every evening. The manager b*ch told me (with an attitude) that she would find a "resolution" THAT DAY, and call me back. Guess what....... It's Wednesday, and I aint hurd nuttin!!!! (imagine that?!!!) I'm goin to higher levels now.. corporate, legal, whatever the hell I gotta do. I don't feel safe at all now in my own home... bats not only carry rabies, their feces carry disease too. And mothballs are flammable, and carcinogens. I'M IN HELL! Just wanted to give ya'll an update....

• Lily316
    13 years ago

Wow! That isn't right. Mothballs are carcinogenic and can make one ill. I can't stand the smell for a second. And as much as I love bats (on the outside) it is not healthy having them in your attic. I hope it can be resolved. Maybe you should just move. I'm glad your kitties are okay and have adjusted. I'll bet you miss them. How much longer?

• vicki7
    13 years ago

Oh no! This is never-ending for you isn't it? I simply cannot tolerate the odor of mothballs so my heart goes out to you. I'm so glad you are not going to just roll over but are going to keep on pursuing this. I think I would be looking toward moving when my lease was up, because even if they get every mothball out of the attic, that overpowering aroma is likely to linger on and on.
    Just keep looking forward to the day when you have your kitties back and are in a bat-free and mothball-free environment!

• petra_gw
    13 years ago

I totally agree with Lily and Vicki that moving would be a really good idea. I bet those mothball fumes are considered hazardous if they used such large numbers that your apartment is permeated with the stench. I would call the health department and complain, they would probably send an inspector out. And if there is another agency you need to complain to, they should be able to tell you whom to contact.

• lazy_gardens
    13 years ago

MusicLover - "Mothballs"? Good grief. That doesn't work against bats. Call the TV station and get a reporter in there to get some air time, and call your state wildlife agency and complain about abuse of wildlife. No licensed exterminator should be using mothballs.

Bat control is PHYSICAL! You have to watch for the exits in the evening when they are leaving, and seal them while the bats are OUT of there ... repeat until you don't see bats leaving the building. And build them a "bat house" before you do, so they have somewhere else to go.

One place I worked in got infested when a near-by derelict barn was torn down. We were trapping homeless bats for weeks because they didn't have any place to go.

Check your state's Residential Landlord tenant laws to see if chemical mis-use and persistent animal pests are lease-breakers ... they should be.

• christine1950
    13 years ago

WOW, I'm speechless and that doesnt happen very often. I'm glad to hear your kitty's are doing well. I would be calling a lawyer and I would also stop paying rent, your landlord sounds like a first rate slumlord, my heart goes out to you. I would be calling everyone from the health dept. to the building inspector. Your health is in jeopardy. Good Luck.
    Christine

• cocontom
    13 years ago

I'm not particularly litigious, but considering the problem, and their halfass solution, I would also consider requesting that they also pay for the quarantining of the cats. I would absolutely get reimbursed for the rabies shots, if your health insco isn't suing them already.

If they had taken care of the property, I wouldn't suggest any of this, but they very obviously haven't.

• soinspired
    13 years ago

You need to contact the North Carolina Dept. of Ag & Consumer Services at: http://www.ncagr.gov/spcap/pesticides/Authorit.htm or by calling them at (919) 733-3556. I'm assuming you are in North Carolina? They will do an investigation about your landlord using mothballs which is not an approved pesticide for bats. And, it should be free of charge too. Don't hesitate as that is what they are there for.

• stir_fryi SE Mich
    13 years ago

How can you get bitten by a bat and not know it? They have pretty nasty teeth when I've seen them on TV!

• musiclvr
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hey ya'll, I'm back..... ;) My boys are still doing good. ONLY after 4 months, I've finally got the management to do something about the bats. I had to contact local news stations, attorneys, county inspections, the DISTRICT MANAGER OF THE MANAGEMENT COMPANY OF THIS COMPLEX, and finally after all that, the original manager was "conveniently" moved to another complex. (can't imagaine why??) The new manager immediately had crews out to inspect the buildings and had the problem fixed within 2 weeks. THAT'S GREAT! After that, I requested to have a month off my rent for all the trouble I've been through... I was told they couldn't "budget" that right now. But, they could give me a whoppin 150 dollars off my rent.... MOTHER EFFERS!..... I PAY OVER 700 DOLLARS A MONTH!!! I'VE PAID MY RENT ON TIME EVERY MONTH SINCE I'VE BEEN HERE!!!!!!!! I'VE SEEN YA'LL PUT UP PRETTY GREEN AWNINGS ON TOP OF THE BREEZEWAYS OF EVERY SINGLE BUILDING IN THIS COMPLEX. YOU'VE BUILT A PLAYGROUND WITH A FENCE AROUND IT FOR ALL THESE HIGHLY ANNOYING KIDS AROUND HERE!!!!! BUT YOU CAN'T GIVE ME ONE MONTH FREE RENT????????????????????????? PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm still sick. I hate this place. I have nothing but bad memories here. My lease is up at the end of april. will i survive? i don't think so. i still wanna cry. I'd rather live with my cats in their little 15x15 room at the vets office rather than here! sorry, but I just had to vent today!

• quasifish
    13 years ago

musiclvr, I'm so sorry about all that you are going through. I hadn't checked this thread in a while, but was just thinking about you and your situation a few days ago. It does not sound like it is good for you right now, but at least your boys are in a safe, friendly environment and doing well.

Hang in there- assuming you aren't ingesting moth ball fumes anymore. I hope you are able to move come April, or find a way to break the lease before then.

(((HUGS)))

• debbie_2008
    13 years ago

WOW what a nightmare.

Did you know about these bats and speak to the property owners prior to the incident? Can you find out if anyone may have told the owners about the bats? If so, well then, I would be getting the money from them to pay for the quarantine

• musiclvr
    Original Author
    13 years ago

quasifish... it's going better.. the moth balls are gone, they've put up screening around the eaves of the building..... as far as I know, the bats are gone for good. But, I just received a $600 some dollar bill from the hospital for the rabies shots I had to get.. that seems awful high for some shots, but if it's legit, the apartment will be paying that bill as well.... hell, they'll be paying for it no matter how much it costs...

• Meghane
    13 years ago

Rabies vaccines for people are very expensive. Sounds about right unfortunately.

Glad your cats are doing OK. You'll feel better once they are home (after that bill is paid).

• musiclvr
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well.... I have some bad news... Looks like I'll only be bringing one of my boys back on Janurary 13th, instead of two. My oldest cat, Jack, had to be put to sleep yesterday evening. Within less than a two week span, he stopped eating, drinking, and grooming himself. After several days of tests, the vet diagnosed it as diabetes. But she was concerned that there was some other underlying cause or causes. Even if I could afford treatment for him, he was never going to be the same again. She did give him some treatment, he started eating again for a few days, he was responding normally, he looked like himself in the face... but it didn't last long... he stopped eating and drinking again for the past few days... losing more weight.... long story short, I ultimately had to make that decision today... I was there for the euthanization.... I knew it was going to be tough.... but not THIS tough! All this hell I went through with these boys back in July.... and now only 1 month until they're supposed to come home......... I never expected to be bringing only one back... my heart hurts so bad right now..... all I keep seeing is his eyes after she said he was gone........ lifeless.... Only 20 minutes before, I was holding him in my arms... This is KILLING ME!!! I don't know how to deal with this...

• quasifish
    13 years ago

Oh musiclvr, I am so sorry about Jack. 2010 has certainly been a rough year for you, and my heart goes out to you. Your post brought tears to my eyes.

Grieve however you feel the need to grieve. Talk as much as you need to. Post memories and thoughts of this forum if you need to share. It is never easy to lose one of our animals (even though we know it is going to happen) and the feelings can be overwhelming. Please be gentle with yourself and know that you will heal in time, and that Jack loved you as much as you loved him- no matter what circumstances came into your path.

(((HUGS)))

• goatie
    13 years ago

Musiclvr, I'm so sorry for your loss. It is so heartbreaking to lose a pet especially after what you have been through. When I had to put my favorite cat down I thought I would never find another love like her. I have found more cats to love and they are a total joy to me. I wish you joy in your life...and more kittys to love.
    Take good care of yourself...you deserve some good to come into your life! Best Christmas wishes to you.

• homebodymom
    13 years ago

I am so sorry for your loss. There are no words, only time can heal your heart. Please know there are others here who understand.

• Meghane
    13 years ago

Oh that is so sad! I am so sorry about Jack. My thoughts are with you. Peace.

• musiclvr
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thanks everyone for your comments... It's been tough, especially at this time of year. The last 6 months have been very trying for me. Not only dealing with the bats, cats, the apartment management, but my Dad suffered a massive heart attack back in October... He's doing fine now though just to let ya'll know... but then having to put Jack to sleep last Sunday... I'm like - WHAT ELSE IS GONNA HAPPEN??? But I'm hanging in there.. I'm going to try to enjoy whats left of the holidays with my family, and be so grateful that I can with both my Mom & Dad! I'm just hoping next year will be mainly stress free! PLEASE!!! ;)

• izzie
    13 years ago

I just had a thought about how to get reimbursed for your exepenses. Can you take them to small claims court, like on Judge Judy? Don't need a lawyer. I would make a call to your local court to find out what the maximum is for your state. I think they is a rather small charge to do this. You just need all your bills, Dr. statements for fees you have incurred. I would also think about moving.

• izzie
    13 years ago

I thought I had seen something on the news about a man dying in my area of the US from rabies. This area is only about 50 miles from where I live, yikes!! They man didn't even realize he had been bitten. You may want to send this to your neighbors in your building and a copy to your apartment manager and owner of the building.

Here is a link that might be useful: rabies death

• bettyfb
    13 years ago

Musiclvr,

I am so sorry for your loss and what you have been through this year. I have buried 4 cats in the last 10 years. One died while having her teeth cleaned. One cat had to be put to sleep, while I was a nanny for a family. I picked the kids up one day at school and was bawling, because I knew Seppie would have to be put to sleep. Sarah, who was 5 at that time, turned to me and said, "Betty, do not cry.You will go to the pet store and get another kitten. That is why God made kittens, so when one cat dies, we can go to the pet store and get a new kitten." That child really blessed me that day. I did get two more kittens, who are now 6 and 7, and they are the joy of my life. But when one of them dies, I will get a new kitten and soon. It makes grieving a little easier for sure.

Hope 2011 brings you joy and happiness.

Betty