Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ninapearl_gw

lost another family member today

Ninapearl
13 years ago

tuffy, my old gelding, was sent over the bridge this morning. over the past few months, he had lost a huge amount of weight, nothing i did helped. a couple of weeks ago, i noticed blood in his manure and this morning, he peed blood. three different vets have looked at him over the last couple of months and all three said it was most likely intestinal cancer.

he was my best buddy for 25 of his 28 years. i will miss him so much and my paddock is so empty now. :(

RIP tuffy, i will see you again some day. *sigh*

Comments (22)

• homebodymom
    13 years ago

I am so sorry for your loss. He was a lucky horse to have been with you for most of his life. My daughter rides, so I know how rare that can be. We are all thinking of you and Tuffy today.

• calliope
    13 years ago

What a beautiful fellow. I have been privileged to have had a couple of my own and understand what a loss this must be. He was very fortunate to have you as his mistress. I'm sorry.

• petaloid
    13 years ago

What a heartache this must be -- I'm very sorry.

• cat_mom
    13 years ago

I am so sorry for your loss....he was a handsome guy.

• Lily316
    13 years ago

What a handsome boy. I'm very sorry .

• christine1950
    13 years ago

My heart goes out to you Nina, Tuffy was a beauty.God speed Tuffy.I am so sorry you've had to loose another family member.
    Christine

• olyagrove
    13 years ago

SO sorry for your loss :(:(
    Rest in peace, beautiful Tuffy...

• Ninapearl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thanks, everyone. sure was strange, after 25 years, not having him nickering at the fence this morning. *sigh*

• murraysmom Zone 6a OH
    13 years ago

So sorry for your loss. What a beautiful boy!! How fortunate you were to own him for such a long time. Fortunate for him too. You both were very lucky to have each other. I have a paint also. He came to me at age 20, and is 22 now. I won't have him for as long as you did, but I cherish every moment. Horses are the best.

• sweetchastity
    13 years ago

I'm so sorry about your loss. I've never had a horse or any experience with one but I've always wanted to. Their grace and beauty are breathtaking. He was quite handsome.

• kms4me
    13 years ago

Dear nina,

Our paths have crossed several times on this forum, and though I have never met you, I feel like I know you, the goodness in your heart and the many losses that have shaken, shaped, and changed you. Though my first thought was to console you once again on the loss of another beloved spirit, I think I will say how lucky all of those you've loved who have passed are to have had you be there for them. They have all been blessed by you.

Kate

• Ninapearl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

kate, so nice to hear from you. hope you are doing well. thank you for your kind words. i like to think my lost loved ones were blessed, in reality it was really i who was blessed to have had them in my life. as you and i have always said, we will see them again some day and at times, that is the only thing that keeps me going.

i have 25 years of memories of tuffy, he was a really special guy, saw me through a lot of pain and loss and i will be forever grateful for the countless times he was there for me to cry into his mane.

• sylviatexas1
    13 years ago

I'm so sorry.

• coconut_nj
    13 years ago

So sorry Nina. Horses are very special creatures and then when you get that extra special one you know it. We all know how devastated we are when we lose cats and dogs who generally don't live near as long as horses. It's such a long time to have such a great friend that the hole they leave is very hard to bear. I'm glad you had him and he was lucky to have you too. RIP gorgeous boy.

• pamghatten
    13 years ago

So sorry Nina ... I haven't lost one of my donkeys yet, they are still pretty young, so I can't imagine how you are feeling after loving him for 25 years.

You were both lucky to have each other ....

• quasifish
    13 years ago

Nina, I am so sorry about Tuffy. I have no personal experience with horses, but a great fondness for them nonetheless. He is a gorgeous, majestic creature and I hope you are able to find comfort in your memories of him.

(((HUGS)))

• dredre
    13 years ago

Nina, I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. Our furry children are as much a part of our lives as anyone else. From the sounds of it he lived a very good and happy life thanks to you. Keep his spirit alive in the memories you have of him. May our paths cross again with those we love. What a beautiful boy he is!

• Ninapearl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thanks again, everyone. it took the mini boys a couple of days to settle down. they were tuffy's constant companions over the last few years. they seem to have moved on and have become playful again. :)

• murraysmom Zone 6a OH
    13 years ago

I'm glad to hear the minis are getting back to a better place. So sad to lose Tuffy though. What a beauty he was. How are the big dogs doing? I haven't seen anything about them lately.

• Ninapearl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

i've often thought how nice it would be to be able to move on as well as our animals do!

the big dogs are doing great! thanks for asking. :) i just got new furniture delivered today, a leather couch and chair. got so sick of vacuuming the microfiber stuff!

• rick_moore
    13 years ago

Nina, I am so sorry.
    He was beautiful.

• bbaird
    13 years ago

I'm so sorry.

25 years is a long time.

That picture of the 3 of them is gorgeous.