Return to the Pets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Misty has Perianal Fistula

Posted by sweetchastity (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 26, 09 at 15:29

Misty's been chewing her butt and I caught mom on the phone making an appointment with the vet (for her ear) and had her also tell the vet she needed to see Misty's butt. Mom kept brushing it off but when we saw the vet she said it was Perianal Fistula and that it was a result of my mom not cutting out table scraps and that it could kill Misty. Mom feels terrible and swears she won't feed Misty human food anymore but she's been saying that for the last year the vet's been trying to get her to stop with the table scraps. I think now mom is scared enough to stop but from what I've been reading German Sheppards seem to be prone to developing PF and nothing suggests its diet related. Not that it matters if the vet is using this to stop mom from feeding table scraps since all her other warnings have fallen on deaf ears, I wouldn't blame her but I'm curious about PF myself. Misty's being treated with Prednisone, anti-biotics and daily cleansing of the area. I'll go with mom to the vet's Tuesday for the follow-up but I'm wondering if anyone has heard of diet being a possible cause of this illness?

Misty's lost weight and now has a waist and we think she's only started licking her butt now because she couldn't reach it before. I read that with PF dogs can have constipation, diarrhea and bloody stools, symptoms Misty was displaying last summer/fall. Mom was switching her to a new pet food and the vet and mom thought that was the reason for these symptoms but now I question if it might have been a problem of PF aggravated by a change in diet. I worry now that we might not have caught it early in the illness. The fistulas are not as bad as some she's seen but they aren't small either. One was about a centimeter long but I couldn't see well from where I was holding Misty's legs and it might have been 2 or 3 close together making one larger dimple.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Misty has Perianal Fistula

PF are not caused by diet as far as anyone knows. We don't know what the cause is, though an immune-mediated cause is suspected. I think it's a symptom of being a GSD...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here