Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carmen_grower_2007

What to feed pregnant 6 mo. cat

carmen_grower_2007
14 years ago

A little background. We have two cats that were abandoned in a litter of 6. We had all spayed/neutered and because they are outdoor cats, only two have survived to 3 yrs. old. We found a kitten in April and I expect she is now about 6 mos. old. We didn't have her spayed because we simply can't afford to have all feral abandoned kittens fixed only to have them become expensive coyote food. Sorry to be harsh, but this is reality.

My feeling is that if an outdoor cat makes it to a year, she/he is pretty well 'street wise- trained'. Anyway, this baby is probably pregnant and I want to know what to supplement her diet with to make sure she has a healthy pregnancy. We will definitely have her and her kittens fixed because I don't need anymore litters and also can't stand the smell of the in-tact males that have been spraying since she has been in heat.

Would adding extra chicken and/or cottage cheese to her diet be helpful? She hunts like the others, but I don't think she eats what she catches yet.

Comments (16)

• olyagrove
    14 years ago

Instead of worrying about the pregnancy and since it sounds there are a number of feral kittens running around..maybe you could get her spayed now? I mean, it is less cats to feed and fix in the future..Just my two cents
    Olya

• anicee
    14 years ago

I agree 100% with Olya, get her spayed now. The last thing you need is more cats and she's just a kitten herself at 6 months!

Anicée

• sylviatexas1
    14 years ago

It does cost a lot, especially if you take it all on your own, but I bet there are places near you that can help.

Here in the Dallas area, for instance, there's Kittico, a feral cat charity, & Kaufman County Animal Awareness Project (KCAAP).

Call your animal control department or the shelter of a nearby larger town or city.

Somebody can help.

A 6-month-old kitten is likely to miscarry, have preemies, or have the litter only to lose them because she's just too young & doesn't know what to do.

I wish you the best.

• petra_gw
    14 years ago

I agree with Olya and Anicee. It would be much kinder for the little cat.

• annzgw
    14 years ago

Since you only 'think' she's pregnant take her in now and get her spayed.......whether she's pregnant or not.

It'll cost much less now than to spay/neuter a litter in 6 months.

• lisa11310
    14 years ago

Im sorry this thread turned out this way. I know you are trying to do whats best and bless you for that. BUT get her fixed now. We have cats dumped here all the time. I brought in two girls last fall, im sure they were both in early pregnancy and they went to our low cost "C snip" program here. Fosters and no kill shelters are overcrowded as it is. As much as I love cats and kittens, the world does not need any more at the moment. Living outside and being eaten by Cyotes is not a good life. Please spare them that. Domestic cats do not belong outside and are not a part of native wildlife. Please dont contribute to these problems.

• carmen_grower_2007
    Original Author
    14 years ago

What can I supplement her regular kibble with for a more nutritious diet?

• Meghane
    14 years ago

Give her kitten food instead of adult cat food. Otherwise no need to supplement.

• carmen_grower_2007
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Meghane - first answer I got!. I am making some food for her and wonder what sorts of greens I should add. I am grinding together, chicken, giblets incl. bones, salmon, DE, kelp meal and what else? I want to add eggs but have heard these might not be good. What about cooked eggs including the shells?

The dog gets lots of garlic which I know isn't good for cats so I am doing this kittie's food separately. What about carrots? Beneficial or just filler? Mainly, what kind of greens? I know she is at a disadvantage because she is so young (but then why can she procreate if she isn't ready?) so I want her to have a very healthy diet.

Yes, she will also get the same kibble the other cats get. TIA

• cynthia_gw
    14 years ago

Cats do not need vegetables at all. But I agree with earlier posters that getting her spayed now is the healthiest thing you can do for her.

• carmen_grower_2007
    Original Author
    14 years ago

People grow grass for their indoor cats since they don't have access to it outside. All cats get veggies through the animals they eat and mine enjoy eating what looks to me like grass. Just wondered what would be a good one to add to my mix.

• Meghane
    14 years ago

Most recipes I see have green beans or peas for cats. But I don't think they need much veggies, just for a little fiber since they can't digest plant protein at all.

• carmen_grower_2007
    Original Author
    14 years ago

What I have done is ground chicken along with the giblets and small bones and added kelp meal and diatomaceous earth. I had some left over cottage cheese and a little milk, so added that also. I froze in small portions and will feed that to all of them every few days to supplement their kibble. (It is impossible to just feed one and not the others.)

Thanks for all the help!

• live_wire_oak
    14 years ago

11 year old female humans can get pregnant too. It doesn't mean they are able to produce a healthy baby or be a mother to one. MOther Nature is cruel.

You yourself said you don't have much money, so spending it wisely would seem to have some importance to you. Foolishly waiting until it's very evident that the cat is pregnant will cost you more money if you then decide to spay. Spending money on vet bills for sickly kittens is more costly than an early or even late term spay. Spaying 6 instead of 1 after a bunch of vet bills is even more costly.

Doing the right thing is both easy and cheap. Spay USA has a list of low cost spay/neuter clinics that are there to help you. If you'll stop being so stubborn about it. Your choice to end this cat's pregnancy has zero to do with any beliefs that you may hold about human abortion. Unless you somehow equate cats as being on the same moral level as humans and with the same moral choices. As much as I love the little things, they are just CATS, not people, and they severely overpopulate most of the earth because not enough people care to do the right thing.

• sylviatexas1
    14 years ago

live wire made some good points/comparisons.

This kitten is too young;
    you *can* get help with the expense of spaying.

I hope you'll do this for the kitten.

• sylviatexas1
    14 years ago

live wire made some good points/comparisons.

This kitten is too young;
    you *can* get help with the expense of spaying.

I hope you'll do this for the kitten.