Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newhomeseeker

Can 12 week old kittens be around very young kittens?

newhomeseeker
14 years ago

I'm thinking this might not be a good idea, but I'm not sure what else to do. I have 2 12 week old kittens. Both males. One is already neutred, the other is not. They are very playful with each other. They are brothers, one I am fostering for a rescue, the other I may keep. Right now they are in our basement. It is a walk-out basement so they have a big glass door to look out and plenty of light. I have all kinds of toys, a scratching post and a nice snuggly cat bed that they share. The basement is about 1200 sqft.

I also have a mother (stray) and five kittens that I'm guessing are probably about 3 weeks old (they are wobbly but active, two have started eating canned food already, their eyes are open and blue still. The mother does not seem to be very protective of her kittens. SHe lets us handle them and let us take them from the woods and put them on our porch in a box. She didn't seem upset at all. I really need to move the kittens inside because there are too many things outside that can harm them (loose dogs, yellow jackets that have nested in our back deck, falling off the deck if they craw through the slats etc)

However, I have four inside-only cats in the house as well. They would not take well to a group of kittens stashed in one of our spare bedrooms. I also think the mama cat (who appears to have been a house cat as she runs into our house if you are not looking) would not be happy living in the bedroom. My fiance vetoed the idea of having the kittens in the house anyway. He said they can go in the garage or in the basement. I hate the idea of putting them in the garage. There is only one window so it would be dark most of the time (no electricity) Also we can't leave the door open for them because we can't leave the garage unlocked if we are not home. We have a boat in there as well as our lawn mower and anytime we would use those we'd have to be careful we didn't run over the kittens. Plus there are chemicals and gasoline out there and I don't want them getting into anything.

However, the problem with the basement is the two 12 week old male kittens. They love to play and I'm afraid they might hurt the young kittens or the mother might attack them.

Any ideas?

Comments (3)