Return to the Pets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
managing bowel disease in my dog

Posted by asoftwelcome (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 16, 10 at 14:13

Hi everyone,
I just joined these forums out of desperation to help my dog. She is a 13 year old lab mix and we found out recently she has a tumor on her liver. It was operable, but she also developed serious bowel disease around the same time, so was not a candidate for surgery. I'm working with my vet, she receives acupuncture and injections about every 2 weeks, which have been helpful. She's mostly on a home cooked diet, though lately she gets whatever she'll eat. I give her a medication for nausea, and one for diarrhea whenever she seems to need it most. In the last week, she seems to feel bad/no interest in eating about every other day. The plan is to keep her comfortable until she lets us know she's had enough. Any ideas on how I can comfort her during this time, or anyone have experience managing bowel disease? Thanks for your time.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: managing bowel disease in my dog

I'm sorry about your dog. My Max didn't have bowel disease but he did have liver cancer. He stopped eating because of it, and we had to put him to sleep. My Max, your typical Lab, had never missed a meal in his life before the cancer, and we knew that when he refused to eat it was because he was miserable. Most dogs with bowel disease eat; I think it is the cancer that is making her feel bad.

Is she on pred to help control the bowel disease? It would also stimulate her appetite...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here