Return to the Pets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Swollen Lymph nodes

Posted by momof2doxies (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 22, 09 at 14:10

Let me preface this by saying that she has an appointment with the Vet. first thing tomorrow morning. I noticed a small swelling in Lily's neck over the weekend. I didn't think much about it since she and Sophie play so hard with each other all the time. This PM I went to give her a bath and found that the lymph nodes on both sides are really swollen. Since she is just 4 1/2 months old, I am assuming that it is just infection.

She is acting normal for a puppy. Plays hard and sleeps hard. Eating, drinking, peeing, and pooping normally. The only health problem that she has had is a moderate reaction to her Rabies Vaccination-golf ball size lump and lethargy.

Since she has never had any lab work, I am going to ask the Vet. to run a profile on her. Does anyone know if I should ask for anything specific or will just a chem. profile and CBC be enough?

Out of all the dogs I have had in my life, I have never had one with swollen lymph nodes. It is always a learning experience.

TIA,
Linda

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Swollen Lymph nodes

As long as the vet does a thorough work up, complete physical and blood panel, including palpating the area, your pup should be in good hands. That your pup is romping alot and has a good appetite etc is a good sign. Good luck and pleaase reppost so we can all breathe a sigh of release when you get back from the vet with a good report

o

I've seen some dogs that get very large lymph nodes at that age due to inflammation from getting adult teeth/losing baby teeth. I'd consider running a tick-borne disease panel as well as the CBC and chem, depending on your area and prevalence of those diseases. We get a lot of those down here in the SE. As mazer mentioned, feeling well and acting normal is a good sign that it is nothing serious. You are very good at spotting things early, before they become major crises. Hoping for the best for you and Lily.

o

Mazer and Meghane- Thanks for your words of wisdom. I had not thought of the teeth. I am sure that this is all probably nothing to worry about, but you just never know. At least I have one out of the three dogs that is healthy for now, that being Sophie. Poor Gracie is still having a hard time of it too.

I will post when I know more tomorrow.

Linda

o

Just a quick update. We won't know much until probably tomorrow. The Vet. decided to aspirate and send it in to the cytology lab at our local Vet. school. Lily is teething like crazy so we are all hoping that this is the problem, but the nodes are so enlarged that he didn't want to take any chances. Hopefully we will get the cytology report and the lab work back tomorrow. Thankfully no other nodes are involved.

The only unexpected finding was that she had not gained any weight in the last two weeks, but at least she hasn't lost any. She was the runt of the litter and has been slow to gain weight anyway.

Linda

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here