Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lilly316

Barking

Lily316
13 years ago

Two years ago this week I adopted a Boston Terrier/Sheltie mix from a rescue group. He was seven months old and when the woman delivered him she said she never heard him bark. He rarely did until this year. Two months ago I rescued a full bred standard Dachshund taken from a kill shelter in WVA by a local rescue group. Turned in because "we have too many dogs". Maybe it was a backyard breeder because Wally is three and was neutered by this rescue group a few months ago. He's laid back, a regular couch potato in the house and in the yard sits and stares at squirrels all day. They walk nicely on our two mile walks every day EXCEPT when we see another dog OR a jogger running towards us. Then they both lunge and bark rabidly, although neither ever has nipped or bitten anyone or any dog. They are just threatening sounding. I don't care if they bark in my yard when someone comes to my house because I want them to be watch dogs in a sense although two 24 pounds dogs aren't exactly scary. It's the constantly barking at other dogs which has me nuts. And the first dog started this before Wally arrives. It's just getting worse. I was thinking of taking a squirt bottle and spraying water on their faces if they start. Another friend said she read ..when you see an approaching dog and they start, immediately turn in the direction away from the approaching dog. Do this every time and they'll get the idea because they actually want to see the dog . Ideas please?

Comments (8)

• mazer415
    13 years ago

Awesome that you adopted a needy pup.
    Question, do you do any type of basic training at home? Sit, Stay, Leave it that sort of stuff. If not start now. Also kudos to you for the walking thing...question about that - is it a 1.scratch and sniff walkies or 2.a lets walk to get exercise walkies??? If it is number 1 - then you need to bump it up to be more like number 2...That will help some. Next do youlet them be out in front of you during the walk...if so, it is time to teach them to heel while on a walk.
    Now for the biggie. take some Natural balance meat stick cubes (duck and potato is the best) or some duck jerky. Makes the dices small like fingernail size - cube the treats and take them with you the walk. THE VERY SECOND YOUR DOGS PERK UP THEIR EARS when they sense another dog, put them in a sit stay and have them look at you, start handing out treats for looking at you. This will be a bit of a fight at first since your dogs feed off each other when being tough guys. The more you do this the more they will start to realize that getting treats is far more rewarding than barking at another dog. Be patient start at home and be consistant. Good luck, let me know how it goes.

• Lily316
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the tip. We do a brisk walk for two miles. I am in charge. They poop and pee and that's the only time I stop. Of course they're in our fenced in yard all day when they could "go" but they wait so I have to carry bags of poop around..lol...They have separate leashes which I hold in my left hand. Ziggy the Boston, walks beside me, Wally a little in front from day one. Wally likes to lift his leg at every pole or hydrant. After the first real pee, where I stop, I continue to walk and he catches up. I was wondering about a coupler for them. They usually walk very nicely side by side and one man even commented on it the other night. ..I don't have any treats right now, but I'll dice up a turkey hotdog in tiny pieces when I take them out today. Thanks for your help. It's embarrassing when they create a scene.

• handymac
    13 years ago

Using treats for basic obedience is not being the dominate figure. Treats are fine for teaching tricks, but pack leaders do not reward for good behavior.

One problem is your dogs do not know when you want them to bark and when you do not want them to bark. You allow them to get excited and bark when they are in the yard. To them, there is no difference on the leash.

Teaching them not to bark on leash will not be easy. You can do it simply by demanding they be quiet when you say so. Side jerks(not enough to cause them to move) and a NO before they start the unwanted behavior redirects attention. The correction before the behavior tells them what behavior is unwanted. And that method re-enforces your status as leader because you demand obedience without touching the dog.

I ceased using NO years ago, because that word is also used for teaching children and can confuse a dog. I use a sharp Hey! or EH!. That gets everyones attention and can be explained to humans. My neighbors no longer answer or respond when thay hear them.

I rescued a whippet mix who dearly LOVES chasing squirrels. She gets a lot of exercise doing that. The accompanying barking was way too much. Molly barks at the garbage truck and the school buses, but not at the mal carrier or squirrels. Training is the reason.

• Lily316
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks..I'll try that method. I always use ehh in a guttural way and it gets their attention. I don't use NO. Yesterday we met only one dog on the walk(because the sane people weren't out in this horrific heat), and I distracted them when I saw the Boston's ears go up. The Doxie has floppy ears so never know when he's going to start. I gave them little bits of hotdog and they didn't bark but I don't know if they knew why they were getting it. The man took his dog in the house. I'll try the ehhh before the barking when they see a dog.

• hald
    13 years ago

Lots of good advice has been given. I walk my 4 terriers every day on leash. I've had barking issues with them, mainly solved. I only suggest you use the word "quiet." I find other people on walks, neighbors, etc. instantly know what I am doing and appreciate it.

Out of curiosity, what do your dogs do if you want to stop and talk with the other walker? Besides quiet mine know "wait," which I use when waiting for a stoplight to cross the street, talking to another walker or neighbor, waiting at someone's front door, etc. By happy accident they seem to understand "wait" means to be "quiet", get comfy, it'll be a few minutes.

Anyway, I hope things are going well.

• Lily316
    Original Author
    13 years ago

My dogs do know wait and they're fine if I want to stop and talk to someone. They just sit there. I DO say quiet the second they start. It's just that they're so unpredictable. The first dog which I've had two years is the worst and he just started that this year before the other dog came. I just never know what will set them off. If people are walking down the street, it will usually be okay. But I stopped and talked to a neighbor tonight and they were fine till a jogger ran by. They just sound vicious but neither of them is. They're real softies and will lick someone to death if they pet them.

• eccentric
    13 years ago

I have an American Eskimo - 22 lbs. - (a Barking Fool). But when I had my Dachshunds, the sign was the fur on their backs darkening right down the centre and their tails going out straight. It was easy to see because they were all short-haired auburn, except for the Dapple. Black, wire-haired, or long-haired might not be so easy to spot the signs. But my Eskie, barker that he is WILL NOT! bark on his 5:15 a.m. or 10:00 p.m. walks - not matter how hard people or other dogs try to engage him to do so!

• mazer415
    13 years ago

Im all in favor of correcting a dogs behavior and maintaining a dominant position in their eyes, BUT I prefer to teach them what I want them to do first. Adding a positive reward for doing it. Then later correcting a behavior they know, and I know they know is unwanted.
    This way the dog not only knows what it is not suppose to do, but what I want it to do.
    Most dogs I work with respond really well to this type of training. In my work it has proven itself time and again to take less time to train a dog and to get the results to be long lasting.
    Remember there are thousands of ways to train a dog, pik what works for you. Good luck