Return to the Pets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RenAvast - new drug for CRF cats ??

Posted by pranjal (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 19, 11 at 12:39

Hello, all. I haven't posted on here for a long time but have been lurking quite a bit.

My 9 yr old cat Niku is in renal failure and in addition to Fortekor, we'll start potassium supplement and antacid tomorrow as today she has been retching a bit after not eating all day. Very, very fussy cat who won't eat anything other than the dry food she's been on for the last 9 years. Has always been a good drinker.

Just wanted to see if anybody knows of this new (launched I think June 2011) drug RenAvast for CRF cats. Some people on other forums have claimed it works well. I will ask the vet about this tomorrow as well, but wanted to know from 'real' people who might have had good results with RenAvast - though it's a very new product. Or am I being gullible in this crazy state of mind?

Cheers,
Pranjal

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RenAvast - new drug for CRF cats ??

way too soon to have any experience with this amino acid additive... sounds safe enough but there is no information offered on mechanism of action... in other words, how on earth can it 'repair' the scarring and chronic changes to kidneys?? if it did, you think we'd all be taking this stuff. Am very suspicious, but time will tell.

o

I don't belive this is a drug. It seems to be an undefined over the counter supplement aimed at a market which will do anything to save their kitties. The ingredients aren't listed on the site just a broad 'amino acids and petides'. Well which ones!?! We should know what we're giving our pets, and some vendors take advantage of pet lover's desperation to save their animals.

I'm sorry your kitty has CRF and hope that you can make Niku comfortable and that s/he has some good quality time with you.

o

Our cats started Renavast when it was first released to the public about a month and a half ago. My husband is a doctor and read the scientific study and everything on their web site. He is VERY picky about what we give our cats (who are our kids). He decided we should give it a try as nothing in it is harmful and the study was very promising. Our 2 cats with Chronic Renal Failure are already seeing an improvement since starting it. They are eating more, more energetic and their coats are looking better. They will be going to the vet next month for a check up and to see how their kidney values look. I am very hopeful!

o

I'm in the medical field and a cat owner.I have read and studied some about this. I see nothing at all that could be harmfull to your cat. I can not say if it would help but I can say it could not hurt. I have lost cats due to renal failure.If I have one of my cats start going into renal failure. I WOULD try this

o

Thanks, folks. I'm sorry I never got back to this thread. Used to check every morning and evening to see if there were any responses but after Aug 1 I stopped and forgot about it. :(

I wrote to the guys at Renavast and they sent over papers for our vet to study and decide if it was worth a try. Our vet thought it'd be a good idea - so I ordered it online but they sent it via USPS (I live in the UAE) and said they thought it would take about 6 days to reach us but it took more than 20 days. All that time, the vets at Renavast corresponded regularly by email to check on Niku's progress and get info on her blood values and provide input.

Niku went downhill and we did bring her home and did IV and medication at home the last few days, but she was so bad we had to take her back to the vets. A day later, on Aug 1, we put her to sleep.

Lzrddr, Cynthia, I was very skeptical about it as well; I realise it's a supplement. Even when I was looking for something, ANYthing, that could give Niku some relief, I kept thinking I'd do anything to save her - and it'd be so easy for someone to con me. We did finally get the Renavast - a couple of days after Niku crossed the Rainbow Bridge. Our vet did say she was so bad that it might not really have helped anything.

I gave our Renavast bottles to another needy kitty here in the UAE and last I heard she was doing well (this kitty wasn't in very bad shape when she started Renavast).

Thank you all for your replies; Brianandsarah I hope your kitties are doing well. Gardenandcats, I know what you mean :)

Apologies again for completely forgetting about this thread. Was just going thru Niku's pictures and thought of Renavast and all of a sudden realised I never checked back on this thread again.

xoxo
P

o

This product is a scam. It is a supplement therefore it has not come under the medication standards. Just the fact that they are marketing it on Facebook instead of veterinary journals should be a big clue. Everything they say is not only ambiguous, but anyone in the scientific community will tell you that a test group of 19 is a farce.
This is a scam, and nothing else. Just like the "lose 20 pounds in 3 days ads." They are preying on peoples' emotions who have animals with a chronic disease, which the medical community has yet to find a cure.

o

I don't know if it is a scam or not but this is not the first new product or idea to be labeled as a scam and then have it turn out to be helpful. I agree their marketing is unusual but they probably don't have a lot of money for fancy ads. And I agree that the ingredient list is incomplete but again, there are many products - supplements and cosmetics come to mind - that don't disclose all of the stuff in the bottle. We still use them.

I have a cat with mild but stable kidney issues and I asked my vet about RenAvast. She said exactly what she should have said and what I expected her to say - not enough evidence that it works. That doesn't mean it isn't a good product for some cats. There isn't much hope for kitties with bad kidneys and you never know - this may help. I suspect it needs to be used before there is serious damage, though, just like human kidney treatments.

I have nothing to do with the RenAvast company - I am just a curious person who has found unconventional treatments to help me personally when traditional medicine gave up.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here