Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phish_gw

How many pets do you have? How many is 'too many'?

phish_gw
12 years ago

I've had a few discussions with people lately about how many pets are "too many". I have known one person with 5 cats, one with 4 cats, and one with 5 pets (2 dogs & 3 cats). I think they are normal, but then again I'm a pet lover!

I've always wished the world was such where every person took in as many pets as they could (and could obviously provide for well in every way possible).

I somehow have it in my mind that up to 5 pets is doable, but somehow 5 is the max, and once you get past that, you are into "crazy cat lady" territory.

What do you think? How many pets do you have? How many do you think is too many?

Comments (102)

• Renee Texas
    7 years ago

one dog, and it's too much for me right now :(

• Marigold Flower
    7 years ago

Oh Renee. I do sympathise...

• aviolet6
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I still have the 4 cats and a dog. Moved them across two states and still renting. Have rescued and rehomed more abandoned pets that were left when people moved. Have no sympathy for people who won't take their pets with them and find a way. Three of my cats have developed chronic issues which is making them more expensive now though.

• Maria Spans
    7 years ago

I have 4 cats and 1 dog. All of y cats are related to my cousins cats so we have one big cat family that goes up to a great grandmother Tabitha and great grandad squeak and then grandma Tilly we got teddy the great uncle and Tiggy (the daughter) and Tiggy Had kittens with the neighbours cat so we kept 2 of her kittens and now we have 4 they all get along( there family) and with the dog too!

• Brianna Payne
    7 years ago

I have 10 pets and a fish tank. 4 dogs; an Irish Wolfhound, a Great Dane, a Rough Collie, and a Saluki, 2 cats; a Maine Coon and a Ragdoll, 1 Red-Tailed Boa snake, and 3 Macaws. It never seems like that much to me but I have a fairly large house so it doesnt feel cramped. I also have 6 kids who love helping out with the pets (mostly). Everyone's happy, healthy, clean and well fed. All the pets get along fine, there's rarely any fighting and never anything serious or anyone getting hurt. The birdies are by far the most work. They have their own room.

• Carolyn87
    7 years ago

I have 4 cats and 2 rabbits. The rabbits are 1 neutered male and a female (they are 6 years old). The cats are a blonde/orange tabby named Junior that is almost 9, 1 male black cat named Sebastian who is about 10 months old, his sister who is grey named Sophie, and a male grey kitty named William who is about 7 or 8 months old.

How I got this many:

I had Junior for years (from a shelter) and earlier this year a family friend discovered a mama cat had moved her babies under his house. He caught Sebastian and gave him to me since Junior seemed lonely. 2.5 months later William showed up at my back door crying to come inside at almost 10pm. We got him inside and he stayed and bonded with my other boys. A few weeks later the family friend caught the other kittens (for those who wonder, the parent cats were caught and spayed/neutered by a neighbor and have homes now). He was going to keep all the others. Well, after Sophie was spayed she wasn't doing very well. She couldn't eat for 5 days and my mom and I had to go over and try to get some kind of nutrients down her (ended up with chicken broth). Found out she wasn't doing well because she had a worm and he didn't know it and the pain medication was too much for her. After she got well and was de-wormed she kept trying to run away from him. I ended up paying him for the medical expenses and took her too. I know she would have died if I had not taken her. He lets his other cats outdoors and the 2 times she got out there he could not find her for days. She did not like him and when I went to pick her up she was literally flying into windows like a bird. As soon as I picked her up she calmed down and started purring. Got her home and the others instantly bonded with her (and Sebastian remembered her since as babies they always played together).

I absolutely love them all and they all get along. I have 3 litter boxes and am saving for a litter robot because I'd rather have that for the bedroom box than the manual box in my bedroom (the 3 younger cats sleep in my room, usually on me or next to me). When I move I will only be taking the 3 younger cats with me because the older cat is very bonded to my mother (I got him when I was in college 4 days a week for 13 hours a day and worked weekends so he stayed with her all the time) and gets stressed out and the bunnies are getting old and it might kill them if they got moved. I currently live in a 3 generation family home. Someday after moving I might get more pets but it would really depend on different factors.

Sebastian

Sophie

William

Junior

• Dorothy Pohorelow
    7 years ago

4 Standard Poodles, 2 "barn cats" that live in the house, 1 guinea pig and when he/she gets here on Axolotol plus the rabbit outside.

• ashnewman6
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I definitely agree with those who say it depends on your situation. My boyfriend and I are passionate about caring for animals and rescuing. We are major homebodies, thrilled at the idea of hanging out watching movies with our pets in our laps or by our side for the weekend.

We have 2 dogs (a german shepherd/akita mix and a belgian malinois mix-both rescues), 5 cats, 1 african grey parrot, 2 rats, 1 bearded dragon, and 1 chinchilla.

They eat quality food, get treats daily, get on-one time everyday, have comfy cages (for the littles), go on trips to the park, are fully vaccinated/chipped, bathed frequently, etc.. Admittedly, we have not had the most stable financial times in the recent past (being a graduate student and my BF switching jobs every two years or so). However, we do have steady incomes now. We have NEVER not had the money to care for our babies though, and although things get tight, everyone is fed and content at the end of the day.

I would say if you are passionate and feel responsible enough to care for another being, don't let a number prevent you. Don't be ashamed to embrace the passion you feel for rescuing animals. They bring us humans so much joy, and have such a positive impact on our mental health. I truly live each day for my fur kids, and they will always be my priority. <3

• vanessa peters
    7 years ago

I have 2 dogs and 2 cats at home and I will be bringing home another new puppy for my son for his birthday. Having pets at home is really stress buster. I always feel relaxed whenever I come home after a long and tiring day at work. I agree with ashnewman6, if you are really passionate about animals don't let the number prevent you. As for keeping your house clean there are several articles online that mentions tips on how to keep your house clean and pet safe even when you have pets at home. Here is an article I was referring to when I bought home my second doghttps://www.the-vacmaster.ca/blog/welcome-a-new-pet/get-home-ready-welcome-new-pet-holiday/

• Loretta Seeker
    6 years ago

I have four dogs (a Boston terrier, an Australian terrier, a labradoodle and a small terrier mix), a canary, and I just added two English budgies a few days ago. This number is perfect for me.

• Karrie Keech Lohr
    6 years ago

3 chihuahuas, one german shepherd, 3 cats, 3 cockateils, one parakeet, one amazon, one gerbil, 2 mice and one fish so 16!

• SaltiDawg
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Old Chinese Rule. Any critter that has a funeral involving flushing does not count as a "pet."

lol

• hailey_hendry
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Here's my list. A very old and spoiled horse named Cruiser. 4 cats: Joy, Tiger, Kai, and Lucy. An adorable black-and-white standard poodle called Boomer—and no, he does NOT have that ugly haircut that people often picture when they think of poodles. A skittish guinea pig named Crispy whose cagemate, Coco, died a few months ago.... (Get it? Coco and Crispy? That was hilarious to my 12-year-old self when she chose names for her piggies.) Last but not least, a ginormous goldfish and an equally ginormous algae eater who sit in a tank in my living room.

I totally wanna get an even greater variety of pets when i'm grown up and on my own. I really want a couple of ferrets, a cockatiel, at least one cat, an American pit bull terrier, and a Pembroke welsh corgi. The wish list could change or grow even further. I love having lots of animals!

• aa62579
    5 years ago

Certainly depends on the situation. Married 17 years. No kids. Own our own house - 3000 sq ft on 100 acres (we're on 1.4 acres in the middle - my parents own the rest of the acreage and have their own house.) Currently, have 5 inside cats after having one PTS in March. 4 of the 5 are seniors, with the oldest being 17. I'm really considering adopting two more later on this summer if I keep seeing so many unwanted litters in the shelters. Outside we have 4 'shared' barn cats. We did have a small inside dog. I never want to do that again. We have a lab in our backyard, but I have no desire for any more dogs. There are 3 farm dogs that roam the property and then there are 2 Anatolians that stay with the livestock.

The small dog inside had heart issues for 4 1/2 years that required twice-daily medications and even with puppy pads everywhere it was a constant struggle to stay up with the messes (on her diuretic she sometimes did not make it to the puppy pad and all the meds messed up her system so never knew if she was going to be constipated or having diarrhea.)

The cat that passed had issues for the past 3 years that also required daily attention and monitoring.

Our 17-year-old cat has had renal issues for a few years now and gets fluids every other day, but that's a quick 5-minute process that doesn't bother him at all.

The dog passed in January and the cat passed in March. At first, there was a bit of a weight off my shoulders as I wasn't constantly taking care of them. But now that it has been a few months, it almost seems as though a bit of my identity is gone.

So, we'll just see after our vacation if we stay where we are pet wise or if I speak up the next time our local rescue has a need to place two kittens. We have the means to do it, but it probably will push me into Crazy Cat territory.

My house is set up for cats - shelves on the wall, wifi cameras so that I can watch them during the day, plus a large room with its own exhaust fan for most of the litter boxes. Here's a pic of the 6 cats I had at the time we put these up (two of these have passed on since then and we've added one more.)

• Casey Brady
    5 years ago

I agreed, a crazy cat lady starter pack must have at least 5 cats. By the way, personally, 3 is the best for me.

• donna_loomis
    5 years ago

We claim to have six indoor only cats, but we also put two bowls of dry food out twice a day because there are so many running loose in our neighborhood. And today, my daughter sent me a picture of a four week-old kitten that needs a home. I'm waiting to hear if she's still available. Yes, I know, were crazy. DH said he can't understand why some people don't like cats. They are great entertainment.

• Jemma Uhh
    5 years ago

Well let’s see:

1 Male Maltese, Papillon mix named Snowball

1 Female Chihuahua mix named Sunshine

1 Female Border Collie, Lab, and Boxer mix named Korra

1 Thoroughbred/Connemara gelding named Finley

6 Female black hooded rats named Cookie, Olive, Sky, Rose, Luna, and Pearl

6 Male black hooded rats named Prince, Milo, Casper, Link, Domino, and Zipper

We’re planning on possibly adding 3 more female rats to our insane animal pack.

I love this amount of pets! It’s always really fun and exciting

• ScoutsMoM
    5 years ago

We have 4 cats, 2 dogs, and a couple of neighbor cats that think we are theirs too :) I think the amount and types of pets you have really depends on where you live, lifestyle, and income. So yeah if you live in an apartment with no yard, probably not a great idea to have big dogs that need a lot of exercise unless you have the ability to run them everyday for a while. Also you need to be able to take care of them so income also plays a part.

• Londyn Wright
    5 years ago

I have...:

2 Cats (Siemese & Maine coon)

2 dogs (Pitbull mix & Doberman)

3 fish (all huge goldfish)

2 rabbits (Show rabbits)

• Suzanne Glicklin
    5 years ago

I consider myself a one pet person. Currently I have two dogs and a cat, so it feels like too many. My husband was a "dog person", so I considered the dog his and the cat mine. My husband passed away and my daughter brought in a dog for me to "foster". The foster dog's human has not come to pick her up after 7 months, so the dog figured if she was a very good girl and the cutest thing on earth, I would let her stay. No one believes me when I tell them I am not a dog person.

• HU-416159157
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I have 10 cats that are complete black and 1 germane shepherd and he is 7 years old and will be my last dog ever owning because of be more a cat person then a dog person

• Infinity Galax
    4 years ago

I own 1 Betta fish, 2 hamsters, and 2 guinea pigs. I love all of them with my heart!! I'd say whatever you can afford and care for emotionally and supportively, that determines how many pets is the right amount of pets for you!

• HU-720406296
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I have 3 dogs: Luna(White Shepherd), Oreo(Springer Spaniel), Jynx(Husky Mix)

I have 5 cats: Willow(Calico Tabby Mix), Nala(Greyish Brown Tabby), Lucky(Black Tabby), Eclipse(Black Tabby), Whisper(Silver Tabby)

I have 2 hermit crabs: Puddle, Bubble

I have 1 turtle: Splash(Yellow-Bellied Slider)

• Sophie Rooke
    3 years ago

I have 2 bunny’s and a puppy in a one bed house is that ok I have no garden

• WhyDoPets
    3 years ago

I got one beagle in tricolour.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    3 years ago

I could never be happy without my dogs, three rescues from the organization that I volunteer to do transports for. Riley (left) and Rooney (right) are Brittany Spaniels, and little Ginger is a mix of Silky Terrier, English Toy Spaniel and Std. Dachshund. My late father always had one Brittany at a time and he trained them to hunt pheasants. I grew up loving the breed, and Riley and Rooney are 6th and 7th ones that I have had.

Ginger was my first transport, and I got a call just before I headed out to get her, that the head of the rescue org, (New England Brittany Rescue) had to go to MA to pick up a dog that was thought to be heartworm positive. She asked if I could keep her for a few days. At the time I had 3 Brittanys, but of course said, 'Yes!'. She was an instant hit with the others, and luckily I was able to adopt her. They bring so much happiness and love that I know I was always have Brittany for as long as I can care for them. Little Ginger is the head honcho and keeps the boys firmly under her control.

• reptile_girl
    3 years ago

I think someone may have too many pets when they can't adequately care for and love them, and if they can't afford vet bills or the basic stuff (food, toys but you can make your own in most cases, cage or housing, etc.). Currently I have 12 pets: 2 dogs (brother and sister puppies and they are crazy lol but they are getting better as they get older), 2 indoor/outdoor cats, 2 rabbits (flemish giants), a huuuuuge plecostomus, 2 rats (I used to have three, R.I.P), a crested gecko, and a bearded dragon. I can afford all their supplies and vet bills, I don't feel overwhelmed, and I have time to love them all, so I don't have to many pets, in my opinion.

• artemis_ma
    3 years ago

I have had up to five cats at a time. No dogs yet - when I was working I'd be away up to 11 -12 hours a day (including commute - 30 minutes in, nearly double that going home grrrr.), and some weekend hours. Didn't seem fair to a dog. Cats can potty, and amuse themselves, especially if you have a pair that get along.

Right now I am down to one nearly-19 year old cat (and a bunch of chickens, and 15 quail - but other than Celeste the Black Broiler Hen, who was too friendly to become dinner, none of them are pets).

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    3 years ago

I have a relative who has one cat and one dog - and her apartment always hugely stinks because she doesn't clean the litter box often enough. Also she doesn't like to pick up her dog's poop either. I would say that she has 2 pets too many.

I also have a neighbor, lives 2 blocks away, who lets her dog out to run and poop in other people's yards several times each day - people even see the dog on their doorbell cams in the middle of the night. We never see her walking this dog. The whole neighborhood complains. I have to scan my yard before mowing every time for her dog's poop. I would say that she also has 1 pet too many.

• Tammy Tam
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Hi, we have 4 cats ( Kuritsa, Indiana Jones, Nala and Copper) and 2 dogs (Siblings Roco and Vakita). I’m about to rescue another dog. I was wondering how many is too many. I read some of the post and I agree if you can‘t adequately care for your animals then you have too many. Also, if you are Disrespecting your neighbors maybe you shouldn’t have dogs. Part of been a pet parent is cleaning after YOUR dog, cleaning your cat little, they can get very sick if not as we all know. Same as Making sure everyone is up to date on shot, eating properly and getting outdoor time and/or play time. So 7 rescues is not bad then, since we do a good job a caring for their every need. We love camping and the beach and so do the pups. Two of our cats like to go for walk on the leash, the other two feel safer inside. I make sure I spend a little time with each as I wake up and play time during the day.

• Fahren Perkins
    2 years ago

I have two indoor cats(Caesar and Disco), six grown outdoor cats(Hisa, Cannoli, Nugget, Sweetness, Athena, and Cider) and two others that haven't shown up in a while(Zing and Butterscotch). Along with eight kittens that we are still contemplating most of the names of(one I'm giving away). I also have a huge German Shepherd named Honey Bear and a lionhead bunny named Loaf. All of that in total, I have eighteen pets. Eventually seventeen because I'm giving the kitten away to a friend.

• Peter Barnard
    2 years ago

1.5 cats per person,
    1 dog per two people,
    2 birds (no more),
    As many fish as you can reasonably take care of,
    One non-standard pet (unless you are below capacity on any of the above). These are my maximums.

• Jessica Holmes
    2 years ago

I have two dogs (golden retriever and King Charles spaniel) and two cats (Bengal and Persian) and I am a college student, with my own apartment. I manage just fine

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    2 years ago

I have three rescue dogs from the organization that I volunteer for. They are all WONDERFUL dogs, and when I think about not having them, I immediately get tears in my eyes. But I will always have rescue dogs from now on, as they deserve and so appreciate a loving home.

• annztoo
    2 years ago

Tammy,

Your dogs are adorable.......they're really twins (notice the markings?), just with different hair! OMG :-)

Love the cats too! Wish my four all got along. Two of my cats (Torti & Maine Coon) really like each other but my Manx is a diva is thinks she ranks above any of the other pets.

• Gayle
    2 years ago

2 basset hounds, (3 if you count the one you could make with their shedding hair on a daily basis)

• HU-95691802
    2 years ago

I have 18 and counting. i have 2 bunnies, 2hamsters ,2 gerbils,2leapord geckos,2 tortises,1 bearded dragon,2dogs and 3cats. and im getting another hamster soon. ( all with PROPER care)

• Connecticut Yankeeeee
    2 years ago

Zero so far. Looking forward to getting a pup within a year. I like doxies, Cavalier King Charles and Basset Griffon Vendeen. Loved looking at the pix and reading! Thank you all.

• Lydia
    2 years ago

i have a dog named Evie and she is DA BEST! might get 1 or 2 more dog's tho.

• Cameron Ingersoll
    2 years ago

2 cats, 2 dogs, and 6 backyard chickens

🐈‍⬛🐈 🐕🐕‍🦺 🐔🐔🐔🐔🐔🐔

• susanlynn2012
    2 years ago

3 little dogs I now have. One time I had 4 little dogs. my oldest will be 8 year old in December. She is a female Maltese and my two imperial Shih Tu's respect her to be the oldest and the boss. I miss having cats also but some of my clients are allergic and I have a home office.

• Amber Dow
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Inahbe 4 cats 2 dogs and 14 tarantulas what catagory does put me in hopefully not the crazy one lol they are all spoiled and fat all ip to date on shots and vet visits and ineven have pet insurance for my dogs and cats i love my fur babies

• lookseemove
    2 years ago

3 cats (American shorthair, rag doll, Maine coon) and 1 dog, a Pomsky. The Maine coon has had 1 litter and I managed not to keep any kittens. I’m contemplating adding 1 more cat.

• c t
    last year

One fewer than you can comfortable care for - in case one is diagnosed with a chronic [read, expensive] condition. Some years ago, we fostered a lovely diabetic cat. I fell in love, man-friend fell in love, but I ran the numbers. We just don't make enough to afford a diabetic cat. Well maybe one, but I have a cat already. If she came down with something, we'd have to choose which one to keep.

• Pharrell Lily
    last year

Well, I have 2 cats but plan to get one more. I consider it's important to be ready to take care of pets as it requires time and money. To know more about cat care, visit this website https://www.catfoodpoint.com/best-kitten-food/. I like to read such blogs to find out something new so just have a look at this article.

• lizzieswellness
    last year

I have 2 dogs, I think many is when you can't handle your pets at a time.

• Ninapearl
    last year

i lost my senior great dane girl 5 weeks ago to bone cancer. it was sudden and shocking and i still look for her. my remaining dane girl and eden were joined at the hip, pip took the loss very hard and had been grieving so much, it broke my heart.

i contacted pip's breeder and one of her former co-owners and asked that they keep an eye out for any adults that any breeder friends might be considering a new home for (retired show dogs, etc.). the co-owner gave me the contact information for one of her people who had a dane boy she had been looking for just the right home for and the rest is history.

meet "flighty foto my way", call name "frank". frank will be 4 years old on 5/31. he is a very sweet boy and he and pippin hit it off immediately at our meet 'n' greet friday. they do zoomies numerous times a day, sleep curled up together and are just a perfect pair. pippin is so much happier and that makes me happier. even though i miss eden terribly, i am beginning to heal now that pip is feeling better.

frank is a bit on the thin side because he lived the last 4 weeks with a female dane who was going through a heat cycle and when that's going on, intact males ignore food, do a lot of pacing and fretting and routinely lose weight. he's eating like a horse so i'm confident he will gain and be back to his normal weight soon. i'm giving him a few weeks to settle in and then i'll make an appointment to have him neutered.

• HU-94218872
    last year
    last modified: last year

As the mom in a family of 4 not ALL of these guys are my personal everyday responsibility, but I love each and every one and pick up the slack when needed. We have 1 axolotl, 1 lionhead bunny, 2 oscar fish, 2 plekos, 2 cockiteals, 2 cats, 3 parakeets, 4 dogs, 5 rats, and 5 quaker parrots. My house is always busy with friends and family coming to play with our animals.

Soon to add a rescue bearded dragon and tiger rat snake.

• HU-99074269
    last year

I pers own 2 cats 1 dog 5 bunnies and a couple toads/frogs

• heather cizek
    last year
    last modified: last year

I have 4 guinea pigs and 2 dogs