Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phish_gw

Looking for good people names for new male kitty

phish_gw
12 years ago

I like people names for cats like "Oscar" and "Larry". Ideally I like names that people have heard of but probably don't know anyone personally with that name (like "Oscar"). I found a couple sites, one with too few people names and one with way too many to sift through. Does anyone know any good sites for people names for cats? Or just know any good male names to recommend? Thanks in advance for your help.

Comments (17)

• pamghatten
    12 years ago

I named my most recent male cat Figaro ...

• quasifish
    12 years ago

I like to name my cats people names too. I think about shows, movies, books, etc. that I like and see what names come up in there.

My guy is named Mort after a character in the cartoon Penguins of Madagascar. I had also considered naming him Gary, after SpongeBob's pet snail, or Bruce because I'm a bit of a Bruce Lee fan. Those types of personal interest connection have helped me to find appropriate names. My late guy was named Gus, after a book titled Gloomy Gus which is about a bear, but I've had an autographed copy of the book on my bookshelf for years- so again, a bit of a special connection.

Good luck finding that perfect name. I wish I knew a good place to search for names, but IME you have to look around you and wait for the right name to find you in some cases. My old girl, Muddy, took weeks to name because nothing would "stick." In her case, we couldn't find a people name that would stick.

• calliope
    12 years ago

I just got a new kitten and he was a tiny ball of orange striped fluff. I named him Lil Abner because it just fit. We just call him Abner. Don't imagine a lot of younger people even know who Lil Abner is. I had it in mind if I ever got a female, she'd be Daisy May.

• homebodymom
    12 years ago

We are BIG sports fans in our home. That has led us to our 3 most recent cat names-

Stanley- found him during the Stanley Cup Playoffs
    Eli- named for Eli Manning ( the Giants quarterback)
    Jack- named for Jack Niclaus the golfer

there are great names out there- enjoy your new addition!

• annzgw
    12 years ago

My favorite.....from past pets or names I'll use in the future....Nigel, Trent, Tristan & Reba.

• Jeane Gallo
    12 years ago

I named my first cat Eldon, after the painter on Murphy Brown. He was a very laid back cat and it fit him well.

• beegood_gw
    12 years ago

I called mine Kat with a K to make it a real name. Like" Hey Kat get your butt over here."

• 3katz4me
    12 years ago

I like those kind of names too. I've had an Amos, Ernie and Boris. Newest cat for some reason got more of a dog name - Tucker.

• cocontom
    12 years ago

One of our foster kittens is Doug (the other two are TinyCat and Bubba). A friend's cat is Norman.

• glaserberl
    12 years ago

The buys are Bob - short for bobcat (the machinery). He showed up at out shop and that's what DH picked.
    Cobi -after Cobi Jones the soccer player and Mr. Bigglesworth (now Biggles)- after the cat in Austin Powers.

• sylviatexas1
    12 years ago

Nicholas
    Sidney
    Curtis
    Jasper
    Wendell
    Cicero
    Clancy
    Nigel
    Basil

• SunnyDJ
    12 years ago

I love the name Clancy and had a gorgeous orange tabby, named Clancy...He was my baby, my snuggler and although he's been gone for over a year, I still miss him terribly....
    And being Irish, our little girls are named, Kalley Elizabeth and Kelly Lynn....

• betsyhac
    12 years ago

I'm part Irish, so I always wanted to name a cat Seamus.
    Otherwise, I nominate George.

• lisa11310
    12 years ago

I have an Ernie and an Abner.

• Lily316
    12 years ago

I've had Simon, Casey, Louie , Ollie, and now Henry. All my girl pets have people oldfashioned names too.

• spedigrees z4VT
    12 years ago

I've used up three of my favorite male 'people' names for pets which were 'Jabez,' 'Basil,' and 'Brynn.' That leaves 'Trent' (aka Trennie) and 'Russell' for future use.

Basically there are precious few human male names that have not been used to the point of exhaustion.

Sponsored
Carl Williamson Designs, LLC
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Nationally Acclaimed Interior Designer | 2x Best of Houzz