Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cnvh_gw

Puppy frequently peeing?

cnvh
13 years ago

We recently adopted a 5-month old puppy from a shelter. She had all her shots/worming/vaccinations (including spaying) prior to adoption; the shelter was extremely clean, wonderful staff, very reputable. Puppy has been home for 3 weeks, perfectly normal, happy, playful puppy, eating/drinking well, etc., etc.

Because she's current on all her vaccs, we haven't been in a rush to schedule her for her first vet appointment with our regular vet, although she does have an appointment scheduled tomorrow to start her heartworm meds.

She's getting the housetraining thing down pretty well. She's crated during the workday and can hold it for the day while we're at work, as well as at night (when she's tethered to our bed). She gives definite signs when she needs to go (circling the living room, will hover for a second at the door; if we catch her, we take her out, but if we miss it, she will pee/poop on the floor).

Up until yesterday, we went for a week with no accidents, but for some reason, she was an unending fountain of pee yesterday. It HAS been hot (although cooler yesterday than last week!), but for a couple of hours in the evening, I don't know WHAT was going on. My husband took her out, and she peed FOUR times in 5 minutes. (Usually it's once, MAYBE twice.) She came back inside and after a minute, started circling again. We figured she was cruising looking for a toy, but nope, she peed in the middle fo the floor, right in front of us. We immediately took her out, and she peed twice again. Came back in, 5 minutes later, same thing-- peed on the floor again, took her out, and she peed once more. That's NINE times in less than an hour!

The remainder of the night was normal; she peed once before bed, and she peed/pooped this morning as usual. She's eating, drinking, and playing normally, and what pee I cleaned up off the floor yesterday was normal, pale-yellow, not cloudy or bloody.

Obviously I'm thinking UTI, but do they just spontaneously resolve themselves? I find it odd that we had almost an hour of virtually nonstop peeing, but afterwards and today she's perfectly normal. I don't get it.

Again, we have a vet appointment scheduled for tomorrow, just curious on anyone's thoughts.

Comments (7)

• mazer415
    13 years ago

UTI's dont clear themselves up - they usually require treatment. It is good you are getting her in. Question, do you always wait until your pup signals you to take her out??? Or do you leash walk her regularly?

• cnvh
    Original Author
    13 years ago

She goes out at set times (wake up, before crate, after crate, before bed), and those are usually on-leash; otherwise if she goes out off-leash with our older dog, all she wants to do is play and she "forgets" to potty. Other than that, she goes out for random off-leash playtime 2 or 3 times after work, more often on weekends. If she signals that she has to go (circling the living room, sometimes pacing near the door) we immediately take her out.

• carmen_grower_2007
    13 years ago

She/he is getting close to sexual maturity. Maybe he is marking territory. Just a thought.

• cnvh
    Original Author
    13 years ago

She's been spayed for almost a month now, and it wasn't "territory-marking" behavior, it was "gotta go NOW!" peeing.

It's been three days and she is still behaving normally, but I may try to snag a pee sample before we go to the vet tonight, just in case...

• momof2doxies
    13 years ago

This brings back memories. Our youngest rescue doxie went through this at about the same age. She would go a little and then get distracted by anything at that age. Then she would go a little more. Of course I had a U/A done on her and it was normal. She did this off and on for a few weeks. Hopefully, the U/A you get will be normal.

Linda

• calliope
    13 years ago

Up until yesterday, we went for a week with no accidents, but for some reason, she was an unending fountain of pee yesterday. It HAS been hot (although cooler yesterday than last week!), but for a couple of hours in the evening, I don't know WHAT was going on.

OK, you hit on something very familiar to me. I am a professional nurseryman, IOW I work in greenhouses. It can get grueling in them in late spring and early summer with temps skyrocketing and heavy activity. For that reason, I keep a perpetual mug of liquids with me. In hot weather I may drink several gallons of fluid just to stay hydrated. The first cool day after a run of hot ones, my husband and I do just exactly what your pup did (except we didn't do it on the floor, lol) All day long. We joke about it because after twenty five years in the business, it's evident it's a pattern. Just homeostasis.......I drink so much fluid out of habit and on an unexpected cool day the body was just getting rid of the excess liquid I usually transpire out by sweat.

• cnvh
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Update, I was unable to snag a urine sample but my vet said since it's been ridiculously hot and it was an isolated occurance, not to worry-- he sees it with his own dogs on occasion, it's a string of hot days and they drink like an elephant, next thing you know the normally 100% house-trained dog has a major accident.