Return to the Pets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Puppy wont pee in the morning

Posted by longislander (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 31, 12 at 10:27

We have 3 dogs. A 9 month old boy, a 16 month old girl and a 16 year (on August 5th) boy. They are all Shih-tzus.

We had some problems with the girl when we got the little boy, but things seemed to get into a routine. Everybody was trained to go outside when they had to potty. The 2 younger have been crate trained. The oldest is/was trained, but as of late has increasingly frequent accidents in the house, but he is an old man so I give him LOTS of latitude. I have to say that I am not positive that ALL the accidents are his which leads me to my question.

The problem we are having is with the youngest. For whatever reason he doesn't pee in the morning. He is my daughter's dog (she lives upstairs) and I doggie sit for him as I work from home and have a flexible schedule. It hasn't always been a problem with his peeing, only the past few weeks.

I am trying to get him to understand that we expect things from him and one of those things is that if he wants run of the house he has to pee first, so this morning I keep taking him in the yard on a leash and encouraging him, but NOTHING! I bring him back in and crate him back up. He has been awake since 7AM and it is now after 10 and still nothing. :( I put a bowl of water in his crate with him about 30 minutes ago and will take him out now.

Am I doing something wrong? Is it wrong for me to MAKE him pee in the morning if he doesn't have to? And heck, why doesn't he have to???

Thanks for any advice you can give!
Thanks,
marg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Puppy wont pee in the morning

This happened for a short time with my puppy when she was about 9 months old. She just wasn't drinking much in the evenings, she'd go out at 11:00 before we'd head for bad and subsequently didn't need to pee again until much later in the morning the next day. I had her checked in case she was holding it due to infection and she tested fine. I would suggest you do the same and have it checked by a Vet, just for piece of mind.

o
RE: Puppy wont pee in the morning

Do you use a code word to command him to go? I don't know much about dogs but that's what I used to do for my dog. Sometimes, it was just too cold to be outside playing so I'd have to rush her along. I always said "hurry up" and she knew it was time to do her business. Otherwise she'd dilly-dally.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here