Return to the Pets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
help with getting smell out of tiled room...

Posted by fearlessem (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 26, 10 at 9:57

Hi folks --

So recently two feral cats had 9 kittens under our porch. We caught them all and found them all homes, but here's the problem. For about two days, as we were in the process of catching them and giving them away, we kept them in our tiled downstairs bathroom, which is quite small (maybe 5 feet by 5 feet?) We had paper down and such, but by the end of 48 hours, with 9 kittens, it smelled HORRIBLE.

So the kittens are all gone, I've scrubbed the floor probably 4 times over, cleaned the baseboards by hand, opened the door and windows, used airfreshener till the cows come home and still, it smells in there! I can't quite describe the smell -- its just this funk. And since its tiled, I don't know where the smell is hiding -- maybe in the walls?

Does anyone have a suggestion for how to get this smell out?

Many thanks in advance,
Emily

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: help with getting smell out of tiled room...

I've heard that oxygen cleaners work wonders.

o

The urine is probably in the grout, I would buy a bottle of Natures Miracle and spray it all over the floor and let it do its thing. This stuff really does do miracles with odors. Bless your heart for finding homes for the feral kitties.
Christine

o

Thanks so much -- I read great reviews of Natures Miracle online, so I'll go to Petco and buy some today!

o

If you had litter boxes, I'm surprised they went on the floor, but I have to agree with christine that the odor is probably in the grout.
There is a NM for cat urine, so be sure to get that product. Also, I wouldn't spray it, I'd saturate the grout by pouring the NM on the grout. Leave it to soak in.....no wiping up....at least 24 hrs. Spray the baseboards and several inches up the walls since the females may have sprayed the walls.

o

The problem with tiles is they are porous..Go to a tile specialty store and get cleaner from them - my friends family was in the business and she told me they carry special cleaners - good luck

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here