Return to the Pets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Flea control for cats what's working now

Posted by jjaazzy (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 5, 13 at 9:56

What is the current best bet for flea control meds for Cats? I have had trouble with meds working for dogs in past. What are the go to meds now? I see they have Advantage II out, says it may not work for all cats.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Flea control for cats what's working now

My vet prefers Revolution.

o

I use revolution too. It is worthless for ticks, but my cat almost never is bothered by them. Revolution (selemectin) also prevents heartworm in cats. It is a spot on treatment so it is easy to apply.

o

Fleas in different geographical areas can develop resistance to different flea chemicals. Your best bet is to call your local vets and ask them which products are currently the most effective in your area.

Laurie

o

I am curious if anyone thinks the brands of flea Revolution for cats bought from the UK or Australia might be weaker than what I've bought in the US. After getting Kitty a cortisone shot to control the itching and bumps, they suggested I try Revolution (have been using Advantage for years, it's not helping much anymore). So I bought a tube of Revolution. Seemed to help pretty well. $20. Then I found some online, canada vet websites - half the price, bought some. Used one, doesn't seem as potent. Any thoughts about this?

o

I agree with what lauri said about calling vet to see what is working now in your area. They have a lot of new stuff out now. I will look and see what we used last. I have 2 border collies (often resistant) and 4 cats and we are doing pretty good the last few years with some of he new varieties out now. Also I tend to treat for a month or two get them under control... and then I am flea free for all the pets for close to a year. That's with sometimes just treating the dogs and the cats benefit from it.

o

I am sorry I don't see any evidence of what I last used on the cats. Sorry, I just see that I used Comfortis on the dogs last and I do believe they have a cat version. I can only speak with reference to the dog version the stuff is a miracle.

o

thanks jjaazzy - will keep trying-- am going to try a diff allergy cat pill and see if it helps kitty's itchy bumps- our other cat and 2 dogs don't seem to have any problems altho we can always scratch up a couple fleas on them - seems no matter what we've tried.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here