Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
momof2doxies_gw

Lily Update: In the hospital

momof2doxies
14 years ago

Just a quick update on Lily. She started vomiting last evening and we ended up having to take her to the emergency clinic. They kept her there overnight on IV's and she was transferred to the hospital this morning. Her lymph nodes are even larger this morning. Almost the size of golf balls on both sides. The labs that were done before the vomiting started showed an increase in her BUN at 33(normal is 25), but her creatinine is normal. Her Alka Phos is also elevated to 299, but she is a growing puppy so that isn't unexpected.

She looks terrible right now. She only weighs 6 pounds and after all the vomiting she is just skin and bones this morning. At this point, they don't know what is going on. Doing repeat labs and x-rays this morning. We should get the cytology report back this afternoon and are hoping that gives a clue as to what is going on.

Needing lots of positive thoughts this morning.

Linda

Comments (21)

• Meghane
    14 years ago

Lots of positive thoughts coming your way for Lily. Please keep us posted. We're rooting for her!

• ladybugfruit
    14 years ago

Sending thoughts and prayers your way

• eandhl
    14 years ago

I am so sorry you, Lily and your DH are going through this. Positive thoughts for all.

• trinigemini
    14 years ago

Good luck with everything

• User
    14 years ago

I hope she improves soon!

• quasifish
    14 years ago

Prayers and good thoughts for a turn around soon. Hope you get some good news.

• Ninapearl
    14 years ago

oh how awful for you!! lots of healing hugs and prayers going out to you all!

• momof2doxies
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks to you all. Lily seemed a bit better this evening when we saw her. They got the vomiting stopped with med's, but she is really weak for now.

Labs, x-rays, ultrasounds and cytology all came back normal today. So, they really think that this is all due to her "teething like crazy". Meghane, you were so right. Thank you. She has 5 internal med. Vet's taking care of her right now besides the residents and med. students. They all are amazed and relieved that they haven't found anything. We are so fortunate that we have a great Vet. School here.

Lily was able to keep a little white rice down this evening also. If she can keep food down with the anti-emetics, then they will let her come home tomorrow. It is amazing to me that a puppy can get so sick just from teething. It is always a learning experience.

Thanks again,
    Linda

• Meghane
    14 years ago

I'm so glad everything came back normal. Whew! Hope she continues to improve and goes home as scheduled. Which vet school, out of curiosity?

• shellm
    14 years ago

Linda,glad to hear Lily is improving.You have had such a difficult time.Drake and I send hugs and prayers.

Shelley and Drake

• claire_de_luna
    14 years ago

Linda, I'll keep sending good thoughts your way for Lily, even though it looks like she's improving. I hope you get to bring her home very soon!

• lindac
    14 years ago

Poor baby! But glad she's feeling better!
    Linda C

• momof2doxies
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Lily got to come home this afternoon. She has been asleep since she got home. I had a little talk with her on the way home from the hospital. I told her that she has used up her lifetime of drama and she is only 4 1/2 months old. All of this drama and worry over nothing more than puppy teething.

Meghane, we have Purdue Univerisity Vet School here in West Lafayette, IN. They aren't as prestigious as some of the big east coast schools, but they are excellent in spinal reseach and treatment and also urology. Considering we have 3 doxies we are grateful to be living here. We are fortunate to be working with Dr. Adams with our Gracie's urinary problems. He is supposed to be one of the top 5 Urologists.

Thanks again everyone.

Linda

• weed30 St. Louis
    14 years ago

Aww, glad to hear Lily is on the mend. Poor little pup!

• darenka
    14 years ago

big, wet, sloppy puppy kisses being sent your way--they can cure a lot of aliments. I'm glad Lily is healthy and thanks for sharing. I've learned something new.

• cotehele
    14 years ago

I missed all the nail-biting. You had a mighty big scare for a pup so young. I am so glad Lily is doing well and at home!

• sally2_gw
    14 years ago

Whew, I'm glad to be reading she's doing better. I hope she continues to improve.

Sally

• shaun
    14 years ago

I'm happy to read she's doing better now. What a scare!

• caliloo
    14 years ago

Adding to the positive thoughts for Lily! I'm glad you had a talk with her - she sure has used up her drama quota. Give her lots o fkisses and snuggles from me too - and fingers crossed that it is smooth sailing from here.

Alexa

• doucanoe
    14 years ago

Linda,I am so glad Lily is feeling better. Hard to believe teething would cause so much stress and illness! But I am also amazed at a lot of things that can make dogs sick!

Hugs from me and puppy kisses from Mojo and Chessa.

Linda

• daylilydayzed
    14 years ago

Hugs and kisses are from from Coal, he is along haired doxie who is about 5 months old right now.He hasn't seen Lily but he is sending her good wishes.