Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ivamae_gw

Advice needed on choosing a compatible dog breed

ivamae
11 years ago

We presently have a Beagle, who is very good with people and other dogs, but is too strong for me to walk. He weighs a little over 40 pounds.I'm a senior, senior. We would like to get another dog who weighs a maximum of 20 pounds but would also be good with our other dog and with people in general. I do not want a real tiny dog and know I don't want a Jack Russell. Also would like one that does not require a lot of expensive grooming, but does not shed a lot. Any suggestions? Thanks

Comments (10)

• beegood_gw
    11 years ago

How about a Boston Terrier or a Pug. Check them out and see what you think. Phone the rescue of the breeds and see if they have any older ones looking for a home.

• jomuir
    11 years ago

Boston terrier & pug are great suggestions. Also consider;

Miniature poodle- very smart, friendly, easy grooming, little shedding

Sheltie- smart, friendly, req's grooming. My choice :)

Daschund- smart, friendly, little shedding, minimal grooming

Min. Pinscher- smart, no shedding/grooming

Lhasa Apso- needs grooming, can be a bit hard headed

Papillon- needs grooming, smart, pretty little dog

Corgi- smart, min. grooming, prob. does shed tho

I'd see what your local rescue has then go from there. There may be a mixed breed who would fit your needs, too. I sure don't want you to fall walking your dog! We had a sweet elderly lady who used to 'walk' her westie, holding her cane & unsteadily holding the leash in the other hand. When it was too much, she'd let the leash go. I always had the willies when I saw her out on walks, worried she'd fall.

Here's a link to a site with lots of small breeds. Please let us know what you end up with, and good luck in your search!

Here is a link that might be useful: small dog breeds

• Lily316
    11 years ago

That advice was good. I have a full standard Dachshund and they make lovely devoted pets. You could get a mini which probably weighs half of what my 23 pounder does. I also have a Boson mix who weighs 23 pounds. Boston's are very smart and well behaved dogs...at least mine is. Neither of mine has behavior issues and don't shed if that would be an issue. My Doxie does pull but if you get a mini 12 or 13 pounds can't pull that much.

• jakabedy
    11 years ago

My stepmom breeds Corgis, and they are awesome dogs. However . . . they can be very barky (if that is an issue) and in addition to shedding, they do blow their coats about twice a year.

• cooksnsews
    11 years ago

I'm going to put in a plug here for adopting an older dog, at least 3-4 yrs old. Puppies of any breed, large or small, can be very high energy, and require a lot of time and patience to train. When adopting any dog, you have to ask the right questions and hope those trying to home these dogs will be honest and forthright about why they were surrendered. But there are many reasons, besides behavior problems, why older dogs find themselves between homes. Family breakups, homelessness, and allergies, are a few possibilities. Older dogs are less desired at shelters, and too often are euthanized because wayyyy too many people get seduced by the cuteness of puppies, without fully appreciating the work involved in raising them. I got my dog at 7 yrs of age, when her orig owner died. She is the sweetest, most mellow girl imaginable. And contrary to the old proverb, you can teach an old dog new tricks. Mind you, her fairy godmother (the orig owner's sister) related that as a pup, she was a holy terror, barking, chewing, destroying property, and jumping on guests. But like most of us, as she matured, she left behind her adolescent excesses and has many years left as a sweet loving companion.

• beegood_gw
    11 years ago

Actually that was in my first post to look for an older dog from rescure group.

• annzgw
    11 years ago

I remember your initial post and think the question that needs to be asked here is why do you want a second dog? Are you wanting a dog you can walk or are you wanting a companion for the Beagle?
    If you wanting another dog the Beagle will play with, then you need to work with a rescue group that has their dogs set up with foster parents. That way, you'll learn more of the dog's behavior and personality, plus, the rescue should also help you find a dog your Beagle is compatible with.

Please don't expect a second dog to be the exercise outlet for the Beagle. Some dogs play together, others want to be out exploring.....and some will lay around the house sleeping all day and then expend their energy by chewing the furniture or getting into trouble.

Also keep in mind that a second dog is more work.....some members will say the opposite...but when you add a second animal to your home expect additional vet bills, more dog food, additional work to keep up with the hair, boarding expense if you travel, etc.

I'm not knocking having more than one dog but just want you to be prepared for what it involves.

• ivamae
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks so much for all the advice. It is greatly appreciated.

Yes, we realize that a puppy is not the answer. We want it for company for the Beagle and also a size and strength that I can walk with my walker. Our dog who passed, as a result of cancer, and I walked every day. He would pull at times but he seemed to understand if he walked with me, he did it at my speed. If he walked with my son, it was a different story. One of my sons friends also suggested a dachshund. We aren't going to make a quick decision but are very glad of the helpful info and suggestions

• eahamel
    11 years ago

I have a corgi, and they're great dogs. I recommend one highly! Pugs and Bostons make great pets, too, but keep in mind, with those flat faces, they snore and fart. I'd have a Boston in a heartbeat if it weren't for that.

• Lily316
    11 years ago

I have the best of both worlds..I/2 Boston with the Boston body but the other 1/2 is Sheltie so a pointed face and no breathing problems.