Return to the Pets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Found baby bird with bald spot

Posted by makoto (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 3, 14 at 6:59

Hi! There's a lot of maya birds in our area and this is my first encounter with a helpless baby bird on the ground. I kept it away from cats, dogs, and vehicles. As you will see on the photo, it is being nursed by another bird but after closer inspection, I also noticed a bald spot. Is this normal?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Found baby bird with bald spot

I think his feathers just haven't grown in yet. It does look a bit young to be fledging tho. Are the parents near? Can you see his next and put him back?

o

That baby bird is still fledging since it is still young. Maybe that's the reason it has bald spot. Good thing the baby bird's mum is always their for him/her to give him/her food. Do you still have the baby bird or it flew away together with its mum?

o

It's much too young to be leaving the nest and the bald spots are either undeveloped feathers, or nest mates may have plucked a few feathers.
I suggest soaking some dry dog food in water and setting it out for the parent bird....this will make feeding the chick easier and also provide a nutritional diet for the chick. If the Maya will eat it, you can also offer canned dog food. You've done a great job and the parent is definitely dedicated!
I would try raising the chick higher in the basket by placing mats, cardboard or papers under it's bedding. Raise him enough so it's not so difficult for the hen to feed, yet keep the sides tall enough so he can't easily fall out.
If you can keep cats and dogs away it has a good chance of survival.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here