Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michelle_phxaz

important!!!! pet owners please read!!!!!!!

michelle_phxaz
12 years ago

Sorry for the yelling, but I want as many pet owners to get this message before the 4th of July.

I work for a pet rescue business and July 5th is our busiest day of the year. This is because we get inunduated with phone calls first thing in the morning that pet owners' dog or cat is missing from the back yard. A chihuahua could probably jump a 6 ft fence or dig under a metal gate if scared enough by the sight and sound of fireworks. I haven't encountered an animal yet that enjoys fireworks.

Please bring your dogs, cats, rabbits, or any outdoor pet in for the evening and if you have to confine them to a room put the TV or radio on and turn the volume fairly loud to cover the sound and make sure the windows are covered. A box fan on high is a good source for sound too, anything to help disguise the noise.

And even if your pet is unhappy and scared, you will know where they are the next morning, but at least your furbaby will be safe.

Happy Fourth of July, folks! We have a lot to celebrate this year.

Comments (6)

• toomuchglass
    12 years ago

Great advice . It needed yelling ! Thanks for working at the rescue - the world needs all the compassionate people it can get .

Happy 4th !

• jomuir
    12 years ago

We had a long weekend of 2 very scared shelties, Forrest was beside himself between fireworks and thunderstorms. Good advice to keep them in.

• mazer415
    12 years ago

I use to take my dog camping, just to get away from the fireworks...
    Even though I agree with many of the ideas listed here, if you have a dog that is sensitive to noise, it is best to not leave them alone, or to get a sitter.
    My friends dog injured himself beyond recognition (literally) one fourth of July...the damage he did to himself was severe and permanent - the pain and expense could have been avoided by hiring a sitter.

• Lily316
    12 years ago

Good advice. My dogs last night went to the door and barked their heads off. But they were distant city fireworks.

• xminion
    12 years ago

Iknow it's after the fourth, but my friend's beloved Bernese Mountain dog ran away during fireworks - nobody ever found him. My friend was so upset he had to go on anti-anxiety meds.

• calliope
    12 years ago

Years ago, my parents had to be out of town on the fourth and I offered to watch their large dog, who had to stay home. They thought it would be better to take him in to board at the vet, who had an office near the shopping strip. It isn't the legal fireworks so much as the illegal ones going off in back yards or nearby.

To make a long story short, the poor vet had put the dog in a pen with access to a fenced in enclosure. Eight feet of it and some kids threw firework in at him. He did indeed climb all eight feet of fence and disappeared. He was missing for weeks and my folks and I and also the vet drove the area calling his name, took out ads in the paper, offered rewards.

A young man came forth because he felt so sorry for my folks and admitted the frantic dog had run in front of his car on the busiest street in town, and he hit him. The dog died of its wounds and the young people took him to a remote area and tried to give him a burial.

My father went with him to the site, and dug the animal up and sure enough, there was his red collar. He was reburied on their property, and it was a very traumatic experience for all concerned and I grieve to this day. All over fireworks. You shouldn't have to medicate a dog to relieve their anxiety. The laws should be upheld. Everyone did everything right in this situation and a fine dog was still lost.