Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
embossedsunlight

Indiana: Young orange cat for adoption! (pics linked)

embossedsunlight
11 years ago

Greetings! I came across this site as I searched for an avenue for getting our foster cat adopted. I've already posted ads on Craigslist and Reddit, and I thought you may have advice for where else I may post and/or you might know someone in the area who's looking for a large, spunky cat. I've pasted our ad below. Any advice or leads are appreciated!

We live in the Bloomington, Indiana area and are looking for a forever home for our 3-4 year old foster cat, Romeo(w) "Romey" (http://imgur.com/t0u2j). We took him from an acquaintance in Northern Indiana who was moving to a house that didn't allow cats, and she was planning to take him to a high-kill shelter.

He's very affectionate, has an adorable meow, and is generally inquisitive about things. I get the impression he wasn't played with very much and/or didn't have many toys at his previous house because he doesn't seem to know what to do with new toys at first. http://imgur.com/iIAmR

He is also super powerful and smart. We've observed his strength and intelligence at work, as he's been able to open some heavy duty sliding closet doors on his own. His previous owner said her daughter would hide hair ties and silicone bracelets in boxes that he would find and open.

Here he is as goofy nerd cat: http://imgur.com/vtszE

He seems super clean and doesn't get litter everywhere the way some cats do. He's a chunky dunk, so we've been feeding him a scoop twice a day instead of filling the gravity feeder that his previous owner gave. He's understandably a little skittish at this point as he's had a super hard week- first enduring his home being in chaos then coming to a new one. His previous owner had a 10-year-old girl who I'd venture to guess he misses terribly. He doesn't like loud noises or plastic bags. His previous owner said he got along well with other cats but not dogs under any circumstances.

In terms of his bad habits, he's not graceful at all and because he's so big he can move things when he plops or when he's rubbing against them. I found he has a habit of nipping sometimes when he's being petted or played with. I'm not sure if this is an artifact of the week he's had or if it's how he is normally, but for that reason I can't recommend him for a house with small children. He needs a home that can appreciate him for his size, strength, affection, large-cat personality, and are able (and willing) to slowly build trust with him.

We are unable to keep him ourselves because we already have a full house with 3 of our own cats. He's been kept separate from them to minimize his stress. He comes with a domed litter box, litter liners, box of ScoopAway, feeder, his two original toys sent by his owner, and first month of Frontline. His previous owner had him neutered and declawed, so he must be indoor only. We are not asking for a rehoming fee, just a great home! If you or anyone you know might be interested please send a message. We'd love to get to know you and for you to know Romey. Please help us find him a home!

Comments (4)

• eahamel
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Greetings! If this is your ad, I suggest you cut it by about 50%, if not more. Lots of words are hard to follow, and you're providing way too much detail. You might contact some local cat rescue groups and see if you can take them to their adoptions. Don't give him away for free, that's how pit bull trainers get bait animals to use to train pits to fight. If you work through a rescue group, they can check out the people who are interested in him.
    Good luck!

• camlan
    11 years ago

Here's a shorter, punchier version of your ad:

Bloomington, Indiana. Romeo, 3-4 years old, is looking for a forever home. We rescued him from going to a high-kill shelter, but can't keep him because of our own 3 cats.

He's very affectionate and inquisitive, but still learning to play with toys. http://imgur.com/iIAmR

Here he is as goofy nerd cat: http://imgur.com/vtszE

Very clean, doesn't kick litter out of the box. He doesn't like loud noises or plastic bags. His previous owner said he got along well with other cats but not dogs under any circumstances.

He's not the world's most graceful cat. We don't recommend him for a house with small children. He needs a home that can appreciate him for his size, strength, affection, large-cat personality, and are able (and willing) to slowly build trust with him.

He comes with a litter box, litter liners, box of ScoopAway, feeder, two toys, and first month of Frontline. He's neutered and declawed, so he must be indoor only. We are not asking for a rehoming fee, just a great home! If you or anyone you know might be interested please send a message. We'd love to get to know you and for you to know Romey. Please help us find him a home!

• calliope
    11 years ago

He's a magnificent cat and the spitting image of a beloved cat I just lost. I'd drive there and get him myself, but I have an Italian greyhound mix, and he can be cat challenging and it would not work for a newly introduced cat. I suspect he's Maine Coon or has it in him.

Here is a link that might be useful: Romeo

• jackieblue
    11 years ago

Please be careful listing pets on Craig's list. I recently heard about reports of multiple animals being used as target practice by being let out of carriers one by one and allowed to wander a bit before being shot. So it isn't just the dog fighters you have to worry about.