Return to the Pets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RE: Injured chicken

Posted by green_grow (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 17, 09 at 0:32

One of our 21 chickens has been injured by a wild animal and it is bledding drop by..... drop and is not totally injred we think it broke a leg and a wing. I do not know what to do and i dont want to lose this chicken, we have lost 3 this year so far and i do not want to lose another so if possible post a helpful comment.... THANKS ;)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RE: Injured chicken

Please ask your question on the Farm Life forum, linked below, where there are many chicken experts and the discussions move quickly.

This Pets Forum is mostly about dogs and cats.

That being said, could you possibly take your chicken to a vet to have its leg and wing set? Also, is there a way you could make the enclosure more secure so this doesn't happen again?

Here is a link that might be useful: Farm Life forum

o

Bleeding, Broken leg and Broken wing. The "drop by drop" bleeding can be fixed. Chickens don't really use/need a wing. The broken leg however...

Sorry but these injuries say the chicken cant live with one leg. I grew up with my Grandparents having a working farm. With those injuries, the chicken would be Sunday Supper.

As petloid said, you should make their enclosure more secure. Course I also remember Grandpas gun, no matter how secure there was always wildlife wanting into the barn and chicken coop.

o

Another problem that you are going to have, assuming you find a fix it for the chicken... is that the other chickens will recognize that this is an injured bird and they will start to peck at it, injuring it even further. It will have to be separated from the rest of the chickens until it heals.. and then you have the problem of re-introducing a strange bird back into the flock. Its not going to be easy all the way around.

sorry about your chicken... let us know how it fares.

o

Sorry to hear about your chicken. Please keep us posted. Many years ago I rescued a chicken from beside a busy road that had similar injuries. I assume that she fell from a truck that was taking a load of chickens to the processing plant. As she ate and drank well I kept her confined to a box until she was getting around and then she went back outside. She had a very pronounced limp but lived to a very ripe old age with no further problems. I say give her a chance to mend and then keep an eye on her around the others as joepyeweed has mentioned, Good luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here