Return to the Pets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
kitten advice

Posted by gabriell (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 10, 10 at 23:17

I've always loved cats and have not had one since my last one died.Last Friday I brought home a kitten. She is darling, is loving, eats well but will not use litter box.Could someone refresh my memory. I can't remember what I did in the distant past. I would appreciate any help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: kitten advice

Most kittens catch on immediately if you put them in the box and show their little paws how to scratch. Make sure it is a box with very low sides and just a bit of a litter layer so that the little thing doesn't get overwhelmed. You can also take a gentle wipe at her bum when she's in the box to stimulate bowel movement, as her mother would.

o

Whenever I get a "new" cat, I confine the to a room (like my bedroom) until they use a litterbox. I put a few boxes throughout the house, so they know there is access.

I think this is especially helpful if you have kittens.

o

Make sure the litter box is where she can easily find it and remember where it is.

I always take the kittens to the box immediately after eating or when they first wake up. Just set her in it and let her decide if she needs to use it or not.

If you are not home for extended periods of time, then I'd also go with confining her while she is alone. That way her range is smaller and the litter box will (hopefully) be more apparent to her.

Good luck.

o

How old is she? I assume she has relieved herself in the last week...where is she going?

o

When she goes poo elsewhere just scoop it up and drop it into the litterpan. The smell of her poo will tell her that that's a pooing place. Peeing in the box comes naturally then.

o

Harebell, that is exactly what I did last night. And now she is using it!Thank goodness!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here