Return to the Pets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Diabetic cat peeing weird places

Posted by crissyinchaseburg (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 22, 10 at 23:12

My 11 year old male cat was diagnosed in Nov as diabetic. The biggest clue that something was wrong was that he would pee on the bath mat outside of the shower and on any laundry we would let lay on the floor. So, we all got smart and started picking things up and being a little more careful about what we left laying around. He gets an insulin shot twice a day and his levels are fantastic. However, he has taken to peeing on the CARPET outside of the bathroom. I can handle the rugs, (not that it is right) they are easily washed, but the carpet is another story. I have another cat who is 7 years old and we have 4 litter boxes, so that shouldn't be an issue. I have since tore up the carpet in the hallway and replaced it with hard flooring. I am afraid now he will start peeing somewhere else. Any ideas what I can do to make sure he uses his box??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Diabetic cat peeing weird places

You might get the vet to re-check;
he may have a urinary infection or some such.

hope that'll help.

o
RE: Diabetic cat peeing weird places

Most diabetics need monitoring for UTIs and insulin checks every 3-6 months anyway. And just because kitty is diabetic doesn't mean he can't also have another disease causing inappropriate elimination. Most diabetic cats, when they are under good control, have completely normal litterbox habits. So something is probably amiss.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here