Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joycewwct

How is my cat getting out of his collar nearly daily?

joycewwct
14 years ago

I have an electromagnetic cat door and my two cats need to wear collar to hold the magnet that lets them in and out of the cat door (and keeps the bully cat out). I have two 11 month old cats. They have gotten used to the collars and don't seem to object to them. But one of them keeps losing his collar. First I had him in a stretchy collar that buckles like a belt. I could see that he would scratch and tug at it from time to time and would loosen the prong and open the buckle. He has now lost three breakaway safety collars. Two of them I bought from the vet and they seemed pretty high quality. I have not found any of them so he must have lost them outside someplace. When I open the catch on these collars I use two hands and they do not open easily. I cannot imagine how a not quite full sized cat could pull one open except by catching it on something and using his full weight (that is when it is designed to open) . One accident I could understand but three times in four days seems impossible. Maybe he has invented some safe way he can open them regularly but I can't imagine how (and he doesn't seem to be the brighter of the two cats). I am at my wits end how to keep him safely in a collar. When he loses the one I am about to put on him I may try sewing a stretchy one shut on him if I can get him to hold still that long) but I don't know how long it would take him to figure out how to stretch it over his head.

Help!

Comments (3)