Return to the Pets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Weight issue: Cat with Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy

Posted by suzq_07 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 18, 09 at 21:44

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum. I've got a 7 year old male shorthair that was diagnosed with Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy. To my delight, we've been dealing with this successfully for the past year and a half since diagnosis (originally diagnosed with Congestive Heart Failure). We were given 12-18 months as an average lifespan following diagnosis. He is doing great other than the fact that he is SEVERELY overweight and has been gaining weight since diagnosis...18.6 lbs. We cannot seem to get his weight down and struggle with diet since we live in a multi-cat household. He is an indoor cat that is allowed to go outside during daylight hours and has been since he was a kitten. His "brother" is the same, but he's 13 and has struggled with maintaining a healthy weight when there are food restrictions in the house. Any suggestions?

Food intake is: splitting a can of fancy feast in the AM and 1/3 cup (in each bowl) of Innova EVO dry food in the evenings.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Weight issue: Cat with Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy

You are fortunate that he is doing so well. Your vet was right on the expected life span on your cat. I've had 2 cats with that condition. My advice is not to stress too much over the weight gain. It could possibly be due to the medication or his own metabolic rate. He's not going to live a normal life span so I would love him, feed him healthy food and not worry about the weight. This is just my opinion.

I once had a very good vet tell me that he would rather see an animal a little overweight, especially one that has a chronic condition. That way when they have their bad days and don't want to eat, they'll have that extra fat reserve to help them through it. A normal weight cat can lose 50% of its' body mass within a week of not eating.

Good luck and bless you for taking such good care of that baby.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here