Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ninapearl_gw

dogs and the disabled

Ninapearl
13 years ago

had a friend visit last night, brought her 22 year old disabled daughter with her. normally, christy is in a wheelchair but she was carried in by her brother and sat on the couch while they were here.

this is how bentley spent the better part of 2 hours...

christy has been here before and is always in her chair. pea took a shine to her right away and always lays next to her chair and rests his head on her feet, licks her toes. she giggles the whole time.

bentley sort of took it to a whole other level though. when i put food out for the dogs' supper, he didn't want to leave her lap. this guy SKIPPED a meal to stay with his new friend!

dogs just seem to *know* special people. i'm so proud of him. :)

Comments (16)

• homebodymom
    13 years ago

what an angel!

• christine1950
    13 years ago

WOW, what a picture, I think you just found a job for Bentley.
    Christy sure is enjoying him.

• weed30 St. Louis
    13 years ago

That is incredibly wonderful and sweet. Thanks for posting.

• mazer415
    13 years ago

Dog pays it forward....nice

• cal_dreamer
    13 years ago

Looks like they both were having a great time!

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    13 years ago

What a sweet picture and he is so cuddly. I hope he still got his dinner!

• Elly_NJ
    13 years ago

Bentley has a real skill. He should be a therapy dog.

Canine Companions for Independence provides trained assistance dogs free to people with disabilities other than sight.

Here is a link that might be useful: CCI

• Ninapearl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

he really does seem to have an exceptional disposition and i think he'd be a great therapy dog. problem is, i've looked high and low and the only therapy organization i can find is in chicago which is much too far for us to go. drat!

• pamghatten
    13 years ago

Awww .. great story and great picture. You found another really wonderful dog!

• Ninapearl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thanks, everyone. he's perfect in every way. i guess that's why i can't bring myself to tell him no when he climbs up on the forbidden loveseat! LOL

• murraysmom Zone 6a OH
    13 years ago

Time to throw a sheet on it!! :)

• Lily316
    13 years ago

He is just so sweet. And lucky to have you.

• christine1950
    13 years ago

How could you say no to that face,I agree with murraysmom, throw a sheet on it :>)

• calliope
    13 years ago

When my mother got up into her late eighties/early nineties her physician would suggest on every visit we 'get rid of' her little bichon because the dog might trip her. My Mama was nearly deaf and she sat there smiling until I told her later what he said and she almost drop him on the spot. Finally I confronted him. That dog is her ears and lets her know when someone is at the front door or anywhere else on her property. That dog is her companion, who makes her days less lonely. That dog forces her to be outward oriented and get exercise as she feeds her and lets her out and brushes her. That dog is her friend and helps give her life quality. Fat chance.

Daisy knew her mistress was disabled. She stayed clear of her walker and feet at all times. Nobody told Daisy to do that. She just knew. She also knew when it was appropriate to hop in her lap and snuggle up. Dogs and cats and horses appreciate what we can do, and are not particularly interested in what we can't.

• Ninapearl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

sounds to me like that doctor flunked bedside manners 101!! it's a well known fact that our pets keep our blood pressure in check. living alone now, with no plans to add any humans to my household, i can't imagine how lonely it would be without my dogs.

daisy sounds like a great little dog!

• murraysmom Zone 6a OH
    13 years ago

calliope - that was beautifully said!! One can only guess that that doctor either had no pets or could not relate to animals in any way. His loss. Daisy sounds like she was a real sweetheart. Your mom was very lucky to have her.