Return to the Pets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The Mailman (lady) that loves dogs........

Posted by kitasmommie (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 17, 13 at 18:15

I've always considered myself to be one of those who expects the best out of people......and unfortunately very let down when I discover what a..holes they can be - but I was so uplifted today when the mail lady came to the door (she's not our regular carrier & she didn't have a package to deliver). She asked if we owned a big white dog. Of course, right behind me was my white Akita, pushing me out of the way to figure out who came to visit (Kita's blind - but loves visitors). She had been delivering a couple streets over from us & saw a large white dog running loose. The dog followed her truck thru the neighborhood. She was able to note that the dog had a collar, but no tag. Instead of heading back out to the main road (she was afraid the dog might get hit), she called the main post office to ask who in our neighborhood owned a big white dog. They directed her to our house. Obviously, it wasn't our big white dog, but this beautiful white shepherd is now in our back yard. I've notified all the local vets & the local rescue that we have her. Also posted her pic at a couple of the nearby intersections. I'm positive her owner will be in contact soon.
But - I'm still smiling that the mail lady went so far out of her way to make sure this dog was safe. She's also aware that our dog pound is a high kill shelter - particularly large, adult dogs (yes - I'm working on that one!!)
If I don't see her on our route tomorrow, I'll definitely call the post office because thru all this - I forgot to ask her name.

Please make sure your pets have ID tags. I've had a couple of escape artists in the past & there's nothing better than getting that phone call "I have your dog".

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The Mailman (lady) that loves dogs........

What a great story. I hope you find the shepherd's owner quickly and it was nice of you to do that too!

Good advice about making sure to have ID tags. My two never leave home without them.

o

I wonder if you could take the dog to the nearest vet and ask them to run the scanner over to see if it has a microchip?

what a lovely mail lady, obviously an animal lover to go so out of her way to make sure the dog was safe

o

Update - "Mrs. Beasley" went home with her Mom last night. Mrs. Beasley??? I didn't notice she was wearing glasses.......

o

Yay, a happy ending. Well done!

o

As a retired mail-lady, your story has made my day! These days when we hear/read so much that's negative, it's great to hear something GOOD!
I used to try to make friends of all the dogs on my route, and with few exceptions, they were happy to see me. One of my fellow mail carriers once found a lady's lost dog, who was several streets away, put him in the mail truck and brought him home.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here