Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
3katz4me

another question from potential new dog owner

3katz4me
10 years ago

I posted a while back about getting educated about possibly getting a dog. I wanted to get an adult dog that needs a home and preferably one that was already "trained in". A non-barking, non-jumping, non-crotch sniffing dog. I decided no need to rush into getting a dog based on everything I learned here.

Today I was talking to a coworker about the challenges they are having caring for a new baby who was 12 weeks premature. Somehow he also mentioned that they are trying to find a new home for their dog as they feel it deserves better than they are able to give now and in the foreseeable future.

It's an eight year old English Cocker Spaniel. They've had it most of it's life, adopted from someone they know when it was about a year old. I don't know that it's a purebred dog. I asked that but only got the answer that they got it from someone they know vs. a breeder.

It sounds like a very sweet, well trained, quiet, loving indoor dog - about 25 pounds. It gets along well with other animals (I have cats) and is an overall laid back dog. Just the kind I would want if I got a dog. Only thing it seems to be missing is that it's not a dog that would go for a run with DH - a walk maybe but it's not a running dog.

What do you think about this kind of dog?

Comments (7)

• murraysmom Zone 6a OH
    10 years ago

Sounds like a good "first" dog. Would you be able to take the dog on a trial basis?

In my opinion, making dogs run with people is not always the most enjoyable thing for the dog. Walking is a wonderful experience for both person and dog. Great bonding time and you will meet a lot of new people (and dogs) that way.

At least that is my experience.

• spedigrees z4VT
    10 years ago

I agree with Murraysmom that this dog really sounds like an ideal dog for you if he is as his owner has described. It sounded like your hubby wasn't really as interested as you were in a dog, other than having a running companion. I do agree that most dogs far prefer walking to running, having a chance to sniff new places and explore new trails (or new sidewalks).

If you do decide to add him to your household I hope it will work out for you and the dog. It sounds like you've given the matter a lot of careful thought. Sometimes the perfect dog just comes into our lives, as this one appears to have done.

• mountain_lady
    10 years ago

Cockers are great dogs, They are long haired and need to be groomed. I Had a cocker long time ago she was about 20 lbs and she loved to walk and she loved to be groomed. Cockers also can be pot lickers. Meaning they love to eat. U have to watch what they put in because they can get over weight fast. If You are looking for a 1st time dog I would say a cocker might be the way to go. Good luck

• 3katz4me
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the feedback. We could take the dog on a trial basis which I think would be ideal considering the resident cats. We are taking a week off over the 4th of July so I thought that might be a good time for the trial. The guy did tell me about grooming - every eight weeks. I said, gee that sounds like my hair appointments. He said yes, and probably about the same price if not more.

DH is the one who really wants a dog. I actually think the running part is a minor factor but need to discuss that further. I think he (DH) would be equally happy going to the park and playing with the hound and a tennis ball. The dog loves chasing tennis balls. I did ask if the pooch has ever been home alone all day since the mom is now a stay at home mom. It was for about five years so that is reassuring since we both work during the day.

So now I'm carefully considering if we are really willing to take on the commitment of getting home on time to let the dog out and figuring out what to do with the dog on vacation. The cat sitter comes to check on the cats. This dog has never been to a kennel and I don't like the idea of leaving a dog at a kennel - have heard some horror stories. DH's office isn't very far from home so it wouldn't be unreasonable for him to run home during the day if he was going to be late.

I kind of feel like this opportunity has presented itself and maybe it's meant to be. It's the perfect dog for me - need to find out more about what DH thinks. Need to decide if we're really ready for a dog.

I think these dogs live 12-13 years - true?. So it would probably be at least a five year commitment.

• Ninapearl
    10 years ago

he sounds very sweet! i do like the idea of a trial run since you are still somewhat unsure. you need to both be 100% on board with this decision because if you take him and later decide a dog isn't for you, it's likely they wouldn't take him back and then you end up with an unwanted dog on your hands that you will have to find a home for. in this day and age, with millions of unwanted dogs in shelters, it's a daunting task to re-home.

hope it works out for you AND the dog!! i don't have any experience with cockers but they sure are cute dogs!

• spedigrees z4VT
    10 years ago

Even though this dog is older and already acclimated to living in a home, I would still very much recommend finding a trainer who uses treats and positive training techniques and signing up for a single beginners course with your dog. They usually run about 6 weeks, one 40 minute class per week. These are wonderful bonding experiences, and very helpful for a new owner to understand how a dog thinks, and are fun for dog and owner alike.

Also 8 hours is a long time for a dog to be left indoors without a pee break. Could your hubby run home in the middle of the day, or perhaps a dog sitter, to take him out briefly at lunchtime?

Your new dog does sound like he will be a good fit for you and your husband, Best of luck with the new family member.

• socks
    10 years ago

I think you should take the dog on a trial or foster basis to see how it goes with the cats and your own lifestyle. It seems like a wonderful opportunity to get a nice dog without the challenge of training a puppy. You will probably fall in love and won't care if he doesn't run and won't mind hurrying home occasionally to tend the dog. Would it be possible for him to go in and out a dog door while you are at work? That would be nice.

I have my daughter's dog in the same situation. Babies came along and the dog got bumped down a few rungs as far as attention goes, so I'm "fostering" him indefinitely. They miss him but know he's better off with me getting his trips to the dog park, walks, etc. He still gets to visit his family and the grandkids about once a week, and they are thrilled to see each other.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.