Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ninapearl_gw

the little goats have landed!

Ninapearl
12 years ago

my 3 little fainting goats were delivered this morning. they are SOOO cute and not the least bit afraid of my 3 danes. in fact, when the dogs are outside, the little girls scamper over to the fence to see them. it's beastly hot and humid today and the bugs are just awful so i haven't spent much time out there. i did cut a tree branch to give them some greenery and they were eating leaves out of my hand. i don't think it'll take much to tame them. today is their first day away from their mommas so they are a bit skittish if i am out there in the pen with them.

haven't decided on names yet...i'm leaning toward winkin, blinkin and nod but i'm open to suggestions! :)

Comments (25)

• murraysmom Zone 6a OH
    12 years ago

Nina, the girls are adorable!! They are just beautiful. They look so happy in their new home. As for names, how about "hop, skip and jump"? I look forward to seeing more of them and hearing about how you all settle in. Congratulations!!

• Ninapearl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thanks, murraysmom! i went out this afternoon (in the heat!) and made a little "balance beam" with blocks and a board for them to climb around on. i also put an old wheelbarrow out there, they are having a blast chasing each other in and out of it. they also like to climb around on the bench i put out there for ME to sit on!

i had a couple of my nephews come up and move the old horse hay feeder away from the fence. good thing because the goats are climbing in and out of it. if it was next to the fence, they'd probably be able to go right over the top!

it's amazing how agile they are!! cute name suggestions. :) i'm gonna look at their registration papers and see what their dam's and sire's names are, maybe come up with something using those, too.

• petaloid
    12 years ago

Darling!!!

I love goats, especially little ones. Here in the city I can't have any, but your photos have put a big smile on my face!

• lilod
    12 years ago

They are majorly cute! Goats are such fun, I am the caretaker of five, three girls and two boys, they are Pygmies and their job is to keep a steep hillside clear, do a very good job of it.

• schoolhouse_gw
    12 years ago

Beautiful markings. I love little goats.

• pamghatten
    12 years ago

They are just adorable ... and the more things they can climb and jump on/off, the better.

Have fun!

• cindyandmocha
    12 years ago

Might just be the cutest things I've seen in a long time :)

And I vote for Winkin, Blinkin, and Nod.

• Ninapearl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

winkin', blinkin' and nod are getting very tame. if i go out and sit on the ground, they surround me and nibble on my clothing. they will eat baby carrots, leaves and mini marshmallows out of my hand. they are SO playful!

introducing "t-bone", another little fainter...he will be weaned and banded in mid july and will join marshmallow acres soon after. :)

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

just couldn't resist that little face!!

• ladybugfruit
    12 years ago

OMYGOODNESS!! They are so stinkin adorable!!How much fun you must be having! Love the names too!! I suppose I could get away with goats where I live now, but I think I will live vicariously through you!! One of my favorite cartoons is the "Billy, billy, billy.." cartoon with the little goat eating everything in sight, including the moon!
    congrats on your new additions!!

• Ninapearl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

LOL, you live vicariously through me as i live vicariously through those who bring home fresian horses! :D

can you stand a little more cuteness? this little guy, "sheldon", is a triplet. he was so bossy as a newborn, his siblings were not getting enough milk so the breeder separated him from the herd for a couple of weeks and bottle fed him to give the other 2 a better start. he is so tame, he practically jumped into my arms yesterday when i went to visit their farm. he actually fell asleep in my arms, i was holding him upside down like a baby.

obviously, i could not resist! i have gobs of nice hay left over from the horses, tons of room and a decent amount of spare time to devote so there will be two little wethers coming home next month. :)

• kittens
    12 years ago

They are sooo cute! They look well taken care of and clean, too. Do they just stay clean or do you have to give them baths regularly? (never had a goat!)

• kim_okla
    12 years ago

Nina, they are adorable. I bet the goats and dogs will enjoy watching each other. I never thought about goat names. 3 seasons? 3 spices, 3 cities from your state? 3 flowers?

Next? A little donkey?

• Ninapearl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

since i don't believe goats learn their names (i *could* be wrong), it isn't terribly important so i guess i will stick with winkin', blinkin' and nod. t-bone and sheldon were named by the breeder and will come with registration papers. i have the documents to register the girls and will do that one of these days.

no little donkeys for me, i'm afraid. since having back surgery a couple of months ago and having to re-home my 2 miniature horses because of my physical limitations, i'll have to be content with smaller livestock. so far, so good. the little goats are getting very tame, almost lovable. :)

• kim_okla
    12 years ago

Oh Nina I'm sorry, I didn't know you had mini horses. I hope you are recovering well.

• susanjn
    12 years ago

Nina, I want you to know you are causing a lot of trouble in my life. :)

I've shown my daughter many of your dog pics because she's sure she wants a Great Dane. So now she knows you have to get cute little goats to go with the dane! She says you are her hero.

• petaloid
    12 years ago

Stop with the adorable pictures already -- now I want Sheldon too!

• Ninapearl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thanks, kim. i am doing so much better! i'm just a couple of month out from surgery so i am still healing but i'm feeling well enough to find that it's easy to over-do! i donated my 2 mini horses to a family who has a business called "pony pals". they have a few shetlands they take to different functions for pony rides and when i contacted them about the mini horses, they jumped at the chance as they had been in the process of collecting a few animals for a petting zoo. they have sent me numerous pics of the little horses out and about and i can see they are being very well taken care of! they aren't too far from me, only about 30 minutes, so i have visited them a couple of times. :)

rut ro, susan! sorry i am causing problems for you. LOL! be sure to tell your daughter that if she decides on danes and goats, she needs to live in the boonies, far far away from all social activities and boys and she will have to work her fingers to the bone 7 days/week! if that doesn't discourage her, send her to me in january when the snow is flying and temps are well below freezing and those cute goats still have to be fed and ice has to be broken from the water trough. if THAT doesn't discourage her, start looking for a farm! :p

petaloid, i'm so anxious to get the little boys home! it won't be till mid-july when they are weaned. i'll visit them occasionally between now and then.

• lilod
    12 years ago

I have goats and I beg to differ, Ninapearl. they do know their names. Starting with feeding them treats, Joann and I say their name as they get their treat, any time we interact we say their names, and now they can be anywhere in their area and we walk by and call their name, the one called will look up and acknowledge our presence.
    I've been told that cats don't know their name either, but if you call them "kitty, kitty" they just think that's their name

• Ninapearl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

i stand corrected! i wonder if "winkin'" and "blinkin'" are too similar for them to learn the difference? hmmm...

thanks for the info!

• kittens
    12 years ago

ninapearl - How about marshmallow references if that is the name of your farm? Marshmallow Fluff for the white one :)

• susanjn
    12 years ago

Thanks Nina. I'll tell her that part about working her fingers to the bone. I've already told her we don't have a big enough couch for Scooby.

But I will keep showing her your pictures.

• Ninapearl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

susan, here are a few more for your daughter. swee' pea is such a gentle girl and she loves the little goats. oftentimes, i will find her outside (she knows how to push the handle on the door and lets herself out!) just laying by the fence, almost like she is babysitting. :)

ashley and bentley usually prefer to stay inside and keep me company. you have to look closely but you can see bentley on the couch! :)

• murraysmom Zone 6a OH
    12 years ago

I love your pictures, Nina!!! Pea is an excellent babysitter. She looks really happy being with the little goats. Bentley has good camouflage on that couch!! LOL

• susanjn
    12 years ago

Thanks, Nina. Pea even smiled proudly for the camera!

• Ninapearl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

susan, pea has the most expressive face of any dog i have ever known. i can almost read her mind. almost! LOL

murraysmom, i can't tell you how many times i have almost sat down right on top of bentley and i am not the only one! :O