Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
itsmestacy

My dog was just diagnosed with a brain tumor on her brain stem :(

itsmestacy
14 years ago

Hi...I'm new to this site and found it by "googling". I have a Wheaten Terrier that will be 9 years old next month who is the love of my life...her name is Barkley. She had an MRI on Friday, 6/19...I knew a tumor was going to be the issue but why did it have to be on her brain stem??? As soon as the doctor said the word cancer I went into a fog...I asked how long...he said 3-5 months...I didn't know what to do...today is Monday, 6/22 and I am still in my pajamas from Friday, have not showered, brushed my teeth, etc. These dogs are supposed to live 12-15 years....why me??? I have been googling and already have a book on dogs and cancer. I will be changing her diet and our follow up appointment with the neurologist is this Friday coming up where we will discuss radiation / chemo options. I also contacted a few holistic vets in the area to see what they think. Where the cancer is located it's inoperable. I feel like this is my fault for some reason...like I didn't care for her enough. I suffer from anxiety and depression and Barkley has ALWAYS been there for me and now I need to be there for her but it's sooo hard. I couldn't even go to work today....She is sitting right by my legs just looking at me....she is not in pain...she doesn't know what's going on or going to come....

Comments (11)

• sammy zone 7 Tulsa
    14 years ago

I am very sorry that this has happened to you. Many of us have suffered the loss of animals, some of us many times, and it is very difficult.

You must tell yourself that if you suffer to the point that you cannot care for your dog, it won't help the dog. It won't help the dog if you lose your job.

I hope you have family around that will help you. I wish you the very best during this difficult period.

Sammy

• mazer415
    14 years ago

it not your fault, its not your fault, its not your fault....There is nothing you can do there was nothing you could have done.
    Changing your dogs diet now may backlash on you and make things a bit harder on your pup due to a quick change in diet. Diet changes should be done gradually and Im afraid your pup does not have the time to reap the benefits of a new diet...Treat you and your dog well for the time you have left and know there is nothing you could have done differently...Sorry for your situation

• izzie
    14 years ago

ditto what mazer said, its not your fault. You're dog is lucky to have such a caring owner. You gave him the best and most loving home she could wish for with a caring owner. I lost a pet once at a way too young age at 9 months old, had a heart problem. I was at her side when she left this world, she had a happiest life I could give her, thats what is most important. When it is time for a new pet (I know its impossible to even think about getting one, just wait until the time is right) know that he or she will be getting a caring and loving home, I am sure Barkley would not want you to dwell on her death and would wish for you to have happiness after she is gone and would be happy if you got another pet to keep you company. She would attest to the caring home she had.

• texaswoman
    14 years ago

No it is not your fault. Cancer in dogs just happens. You have given Barkley the best home she could ever have had. Please make the most of the time that you have left with her but please do not be selfish and keep her hanging on longer than she should because you do not want to let her go. You will know in your heart when that time is, just listen. I know I kept my dear Lacy longer than I should have and it caused her to go thru pain that she should not have had to endure. I regret that to this day. That pain was my fault because I did not want to let her go.

• calliope
    14 years ago

The kindest thing you can do for Barkley..........you have already done, and that is to love her and give her as good home as you know how. I know the agony you must be going through and I am so sorry this happened to you. The thing is, even if she lived to be twenty you would probably be feeling the same way as she neared her end of old age. It really doesn't make parting much easier to lose them that way.

Enjoy the time you do have......try not to grieve before the fact. You'll waste precious time if you do. Extend her life if it's in your means, but be careful to do it wisely. It's one thing to put all your effort into fixing a pet who might be cured, but a different matter when you do it to buy time if that time is not comfortable and quality for her.

• babydoggie
    14 years ago

so sorry to hear about Barkley - God bless you both for finding each other! what a wonderful match that must be!!! we just lost someone very dear to us for the past 11 years to cancer. the one advantage you have is time. we found out and the next day we had to put her down forever...
    PLEASE, do whatever you can and try to radiate positive energy - as we all know, they feel our sadness and not always associate it with themselves especially if not in pain. who knows, she could be thinking you are sick and that's why your routines have changed...
    it's incredible sometimes how this can affect them.
    big hugs and courage to awesome Barkley and her special loving owner!!!
    PS. google the "Rainbow bridge" story. i think i would have felt a lot better, although with endless tears in my eyes if i read it over and over again, before we had to do what we did...

• kms4me
    14 years ago

I am so sorry.

I lost my beloved Bridget to cancer when she was only 7 years old. She was my world. If love alone could have saved her, she'd still be here today. Though she's been gone, I have continued to love her these last five years, and I will love her forever.

It isn't fair that your dog is sick. And it isn't your fault.

Kate

• dabunch
    14 years ago

I'm sorry to hear about your baby.It's NOT your fault.

Whenever our pets get diagnosed with something, we all go into this mode...Maybe IF I did something sooner...I should have noticed...etc. That is not the case. Pets get illnesses just like people. I believe that when its their time, its their time. All we can do is make them comfortable and give them the best existence we can. Some illnesses are treatable, some are not.

My dog has been diagnosed with Hypothyroid, Kidney disease(not much I can do there) and Cushings (she has a TUMOR growing on her brain-the pituitary area). None of those are my fault. She is sicker on paper, than in realty- TG. At first, I was in denial. Then I got scared. Then I got angry. Why her? She had a rough (puppy mill) beginning. Then I accepted it.

I just lost the older one last November (she lived a good long life-18). I didn't expect this one to start getting sick right away...

Anyway, I decided that I will give her the best life I can. I take her for rides-to her store. I walk her. I play with her. I feed her good food. I am making her life very happy. I have no idea how long she'll be around, but I'm not one of those people who will put her on some awful tasting food for her kidneys just so that I can get an extra month out of her. I know some people force their dogs to eat crappy food, just so they exist. I'm thinking what is life for her if she cannot enjoy her food? I feed her whatever she wants/likes. I just don't give her too much protein, or anything that would make her sick. She seems to be happy. That's all I can do.

Try to put yourself into a mode where you realize that every living being goes through a cycle of life. One day you'll be together again. Enjoy the time you have together now and don't show her YOUR STRESS. They can tell.

• shaun
    14 years ago

You poor thing - I hope you find your way back to this site to read all the thoughtful posts to you. Just give Barkley all your love while you can and keep her comfortable. *hugs*

• doucanoe
    14 years ago

I am so sorry you both have to deal with this. Nope, it's not fair, and nope,it is not your fault.

As many here have said, just make what time you have with her special. She needs all the lovin' and pettin' and huggin' you can give!

Sending good thoughts to both you and Barkley. (Love her name, by the way!)

Linda

• Ninapearl
    14 years ago

i'm so very sorry. i feel your pain as i am dealing with a terminal illness in my beloved little corgi boy, simon. i can't add much more to what has already been said but just know that others have been or are going down this very road. we will all survive, we'll just do so with a great big hole in our hearts.

God bless you for loving little barkley so much.