Return to the Pets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I am considering fostering some kittens.....

Posted by telly2 (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 6, 09 at 16:15

and would love to hear from experienced foster "parents" on exactly what I'm in for here...I know that the hardest part must be getting attached to them and then giving them up, but I feel strongly led to help, even in a small way.
I'm so concerned with how our shelters are struggling in this economy, not to mention that it's causing people to just dump their pets out on the streets (I'd go hungry before I let my pets go hungry, but I guess I'm in the minority).
Anyway, I'd be interested in some things I might need to do or think about to prepare my household for fostering,particulary with kittens, some of which may be feral. I do have pets of my own and I don't want to put them at risk, but my thinking at this point is that we're talking about kittens here, so as long as they're properly vetted, the risk to other animals should be minimal. I hope I'm not being too naive.
Any advice would be surely appreciated.....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I am considering fostering some kittens.....

hi telly, I've been fostering for over 30yrs so I have a bit of experience on the subject. You are right about not bringing in diseases to your family so it is helpful if you can take them to a vet for a checkup.. but unfortunately that doesn't guarantee that something won't come up down the road. The best thing to do is to keep them separated for a week or a few days, in your bedroom or a bathroom or even a large carrier. How old are they?
I can give you more info once I know that. I have just started a blog about fostering and will have info available. but for now you can visit and leave a comment and we can share ideas.
charlie

Here is a link that might be useful: foster pet blog

o
RE: I am considering fostering some kittens.....

Thanks Charlie. The agency right now needs a foster for kittens that are approx 6 weeks old. I haven't made a commitment yet, but I think I probably will. I'm at home all day, so time is not a problem. My income is limited though. I'm sure the agency I'm working with will give me the "nuts and bolts" of it, but I haven't ever talked with anyone who's done it, and I'm looking for the inside scoop. I'm going now to check out your blog.....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here